Translate

Thursday, October 1, 2026

Review: Firebird by Juliette Cross

Title:
Firebird
Author: Juliette Cross 
Series: The Fire That Binds #1
Genre: Fantasy Romance/Adult
Publisher: Bramble
Publication Date: April 8, 2025
Edition: Ebook
Source: Library
Purchase: Amazon US | Barnes & Noble | Books-A-Million | Bookshop | Kobo | Powell's | 
 





 
Synopsis:
A conqueror captivated… 
A witch prophesied to save them all… 
A world where dragons rule Rome. 

   From the moment Roman general and nephew to the emperor Julianus Dakkia laid eyes on Malina, he was enthralled by the Dacian dancer. Years later, the fierce beauty stands before him on a scarred battlefield, her life in danger. He instinctively shifts into his fierce dragon form to save her, an action that may mean his head on the imperial gate. But he and his dragon know one thing: she belongs to them. 
   Malina can’t believe that the centurion who had once bestowed a secret talisman on her is the Roman general of legendary brutality. His warrior prowess cannot be denied, yet they don’t reveal the secret he hides. All Malina knows is his protection and gentle touch. And she cannot deny how her soul has always seemed to answer his. 
   As they navigate a world where flying deathriders conquer and burn, their love will ignite a firestorm that can only end in heartbreak or death. Or both.
***********
 
I remember when this came out, it had a slew of very critical reviews and I held off on reading it because of that. I have read a fair number of books by this author in the past, but the critiques sounded fair. But, I still wanted to form my own opinion so when I saw that it was available at my library, I picked it up.
 
I kind of think the complaints are a touch over blown, to a degree. I understand and don't disagree with the "good slave owner" trope, I do wonder if the same story could've been told with out using that trope. Julian is the nephew of the Caesar, and does need to play a role to stay alive so he can overthrow him. I don't know how it could've been written that didn't use that trope, like maybe he could've been paying them under the table, in some way that in case things went sideways they'd have money to get out of Rome. 
 
The other one is that when Julian and Malina meet she's 17, we don't actually know how old he is at that time. So the Minor/adult aspect is unconfirmed at far as I can tell. But in the time after they reconnect, he doesn't use his position of power over her. From my interpenetration of it at least that never happens. As far as the "insta-love" of it, at this point, it's a little par for the course of the genre. It's a fast-paced fantasy romance, that follows different characters in each book. If they weren't together by the end of this book the romance would be moving too slow.
 
For all the things that I really enjoyed, the Roman mythology was really nicely woven through the story. And it was nice that it was consistent. I have read other books where the Roman names for the gods aren't all used sometimes of the Greek names are used for what I assume is "clarity". I did have to look up who a couple were the equivalent for, since I know the Greek ones a little better.
 
There was a few things that I wish had been wrapped up a little more since I don't know how much Julian and Malina are going to be in the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment