Title: The Book of Blood and Roses
Author: Annie Summerlee
Series: The Callisto Chronicles #1
Genre: Paranormal/Romance/Queer
Publisher: Del Rey
Publication Date: January 13, 2026
Edition: Digital
Source: Library
Purchase: Amazon US | Barnes & Noble | Books-A-Million | Bookshop | Kobo | Powell's |
Author: Annie Summerlee
Series: The Callisto Chronicles #1
Genre: Paranormal/Romance/Queer
Publisher: Del Rey
Publication Date: January 13, 2026
Edition: Digital
Source: Library
Purchase: Amazon US | Barnes & Noble | Books-A-Million | Bookshop | Kobo | Powell's |
Synopsis:
In the mists of the Scottish Highlands is a university where vampires study alongside humans.
Rebecca Charity is a vampire hunter undercover at the university, searching for the mysterious Book of Blood and Roses, a lost compendium of ways to kill vampires. If she finds it, she’ll be one step closer to avenging her parents, who were slain by those creatures of the night.
But when Rebecca arrives, she finds something unexpected: a coffin. Her new roommate is Aliz Astra, scion of one of the most powerful vampire families . . . and the most beautiful woman Rebecca has ever met.
The maddeningly gorgeous Aliz is everything that Rebecca has always hated but also everything she’s ever wanted, and now Rebecca doesn’t know if she wants to kiss or kill her.
When one moonlit night Aliz rescues her from a vampire attack, she accidentally makes Rebecca her Familiar. Now they must work together to break the curse—but as they get closer to solving the mystery, Rebecca and Aliz get closer, too.
Can a vampire hunter ever fall in love with a vampire?
Rebecca Charity is a vampire hunter undercover at the university, searching for the mysterious Book of Blood and Roses, a lost compendium of ways to kill vampires. If she finds it, she’ll be one step closer to avenging her parents, who were slain by those creatures of the night.
But when Rebecca arrives, she finds something unexpected: a coffin. Her new roommate is Aliz Astra, scion of one of the most powerful vampire families . . . and the most beautiful woman Rebecca has ever met.
The maddeningly gorgeous Aliz is everything that Rebecca has always hated but also everything she’s ever wanted, and now Rebecca doesn’t know if she wants to kiss or kill her.
When one moonlit night Aliz rescues her from a vampire attack, she accidentally makes Rebecca her Familiar. Now they must work together to break the curse—but as they get closer to solving the mystery, Rebecca and Aliz get closer, too.
Can a vampire hunter ever fall in love with a vampire?
I enjoyed this book more than I thought I was going to. I was feeling stressed so I looked for a book in my library TBR, and this one sounded not exactly light-hearted, but something that would be "easy" to read. And while it was, there was a bit more to this book than I assumed. It is very insta-love, which I can chalk up to the magical bond they get early on in the plot that forced them to get close very fast. But it didn't really bother me too much.
I did find Rebecca a little frustrating at times. Her hatred for Vampires is valid and understandable. But at times her reactions to situations was a little annoying. She's a little too brash for someone who supposed to have been trained to be stealthy, but that is part of her character, to be some-what hotheaded. And she does become a little more subtle by the end of the book.
There was one big reveal, who was behind the death of her parents, that I expected to be the answer. So when it was 'revealed', I wasn't that shocked. There was something mentioned early on that gave it away in my opinion. But there was a couple of smaller reveals that I did not see coming,
As mentioned though, the romance between Rebecca (or Cassie, as that was her cover name) and Aliz happened really fast, and the 'spicy scenes' (they're both 23) were a little strange, one in particular gave me pause. But overall, they were fine. Just described a little odd in my opinion.
There is a bit of a cliff hanger, that leaves me interested in reading the sequel when it comes out.

No comments:
Post a Comment