Translate

Sunday, April 28, 2024

ARC Review: Dream a Little Dream of Me by Akira Varma

Title:
Dream a Little Dream of Me
Author: Akira Varma
Series: N/A
Genre: Novella/Urban Fantasy/Romance
Publisher: Akira Varma
Publication Date: April 30, 2024
Edition: 115 pages, Kindle Edition
Source: NetGalley
Purchase: Amazon US | Barnes & Noble
 
 
 
 
 
 
Synopsis:
A bet between Cupid and Dream.
What could possibly go wrong? It was just a simple bet.
But when that bet involves two childhood best friends who’d turned into enemies - or much rather, two soulmates who’d do everything but give into their feelings… that’s where the complications come in.
Dream wagers that this would be the one couple Cupid would not be able to bring together.
But would Cupid’s ego allow him to lose?
******************

I picked up this book because of the synopsis. I felt like this book was too long, but also too short. Some things felt rushed, while other things felt glossed over.

I also don't really know how to feel about the characters because I don't feel like I really got to know either Cupid and Dream. Chris and Zoya, the two estranged soulmates, are the ones that I got to know the best, but I still feel like there are gaps in their history. Which might be part of the point, since they were more a plot devise than characters. 

The narrative sometimes switched perspective between Cupid and Dream mid-paragraph. And that sometimes threw me off. It made the narrative inconsistent. I was more interested in Dream and Cupid, but they weren't as front and center as I would've liked. The author's note mentioned that there's another book, or a sequel of sorts that's going to focus more on Dream. And I like that idea, since this book did start with Dream talking about how his power struggles, something that I felt got pushed so far to the background that I started to forget that was what started the bet.

No comments:

Post a Comment