Translate

Sunday, March 3, 2024

Bulk Review: Manga

 

I was wanting to wait to make this post, but I keep reading manga. It has a pretty fast turnover rate compared to novels at my library. There are other books I've been reading, I just keep forgetting to write reviews. I've also been working more on other writing this year than writing reviews.
 
 
 
Prince Freya by Keiko Ishihara Vol. 1 - 8

The story of a girl who grew up in the mountains with her mother, and her two best friends are orphaned brothers who she grew up with. Shenanigans occur that end with her taking the place of the recently murdered Prince who she is identical to. (I have some theories about why.)
 
This is one I kind of stumbled across in my search for a manga that was similar to Something's Wrong with Us. This was, along with a few others on this list, that claimed to be similar. It's not, but since I didn't have to wait between volumes I binge-read the volumes that my library had. I think this a relatively new series, only 8 of the 10 have been translated. The first couple volumes are pretty rushed. But according to the author's note at the and of the fourth volume she was only promised three volumes, so I can forgive the rushed plot at the start. This is a weird story, I'm not 100% sure where it's headed.
 
**********************
 
The Ancient Magus' Bride by Kore Yamazaki Vol. 10 - 14

 Chise has decided to head to the Alchemy school. There she makes some new friends. As she makes new friends, she starts to realize how her reckless behavior effects others when one of her new friends starts being reckless herself. I love how much she's grown as a character.
Even Elias has grown and is starting to make friends. As he learns more about what it's like to be human he starts to be able to connect with others more. 

This manga is honestly, pretty dark. There's a lot of whimsy, but it's heckin' dark most of the time. There is some minor body horror through the series. Lots of murder. This is a very compelling story. I plan on watching more of the Anime, but I am enjoying reading the manga a little bit more. For now, I'll just keep reading and then when I catch up with all the volumes that are out and translated I'll pick up the anime again.
 
**********************
 
The Demon Prince of Momochi House by Aya Shouoto Vol. 1 - 4 (DNF)

I picked this one up kind of randomly. I did DNF the series halfway through the fourth volume. I just got bored.  The characters are kind of 'meh', they don't have interesting personalities. The plot is a little all over the place. There's a new threat introduced in each volume that is never fully resolved. So there's just a bunch of threats being compiled on each other. The house itself also doesn't make a lot of sense and I don't feel like the text does a good job explaining things. 
 
If you're more interested in vibes than plot, this might be a good one to read.
 
**********************
 
This is the only one that is anywhere near the same genre (or age demographic Josei) as Something's Wrong with Us. This is a much cuter plot. No murder mystery to solve or past trauma to overcome.
Nanase helps an elderly person when she has a chance encounter with a doctor, Kairi Tendo. Who she instantly becomes smitten with and it encourages her to go into the field of medicine to become a nurse so she can see him again. She is a bit silly at first, but she decides that the best way to remain close to him is to become a better nurse.

I can only guess how old the Nanase is, based on her being a nurse and  with the Tendo happened 5 years ago. He was a new Doctor at that time. So I assume he's 30, and she's in her early 20s.  This is a silly but cute manga. It's also fairly short at 7 volumes. It did get a live-action adaptation. No idea where to watch that, but I'd love to give it a watch.
 
**********************
 
This one is silly, but it's also a lot of fun. From the synopsis. Shut-in shy teen who spends more time playing Dating simulator games than even going to school, saves the life of a yakuza boss, and from there he decides that the one of this three grandson's who win her heart will be his successor.
 
I like the characters enough to keep reading, and this girl is causing so much mayhem already for the family and I've only read one volume. She's a silly girl, but she does also seem to have some spunk in her. I think this is one of those "Reverse Harem" stories. This manga is great for a silly good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment