Translate

Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Bulk Review: Manga/Graphic Novles

 

This has been the "year of Manga/Graphic Novels" for me. About half the books I've read this year were in this format. I needed a more relaxed year, trying to force myself to read "regular" books was starting to feel like a chore. I did read a lot non-manga, I was just in my manga era I guess. I didn't write as many reviews on StoryGraph this time around for each volume I finished. It kind of slipped my mind with the ones I read closer to the end of the year. I also read them a little too-fast sometimes, as in I don't always read them with the mindset of reviewing them. I prefer to try and review "arcs" in manga over volumes. Which I don't always notice when it's my first time reading it. Anyway, I feel like I had a pretty great year of reading.
 
 
Witch Hat Atelier, Volume 11 by Kamome Shirahama
Luckily, I did write a review for this volume. I read this back in October (according to StoryGraph), so based on memories I don't remember exactly what happened. So I am going to link to my review from StoryGraph.

 
 
 
 
*****
 
Garlic & the Witch (Garlic #2) by Bree Paulsen 
This graphic novel Duology is so freaking cute. I love the characters, I love the world. I just love it. If this is how their story ends, I will be happy, but I also never want to leave this world. This is the fantasy world I'd want to live in.





*****

Something's Wrong With Us, Volume 15 & 16 by Natsumi Andō
There's just something so addicting about this manga. Their romance started out messy, but the way they found their way back to each other through everything makes it so I can't help but root for them. Tubaki's mother, while she is a horrible person, when you find out more about what happened to her, I understand her motives (they're still bad motives), but I understand them.
 
******
 

Nimona by ND Stevenson
I picked this one up on a whim.  I had heard it was good, but not much about the plot. I liked this, it was cute but also a little tragic. It seems to be a standalone, but the ending is pretty open ended. This is another where getting more would be great even if it did end in a way that does have some closure. 



*****

Yona of the Dawn, Vol. 40 by Mizuho Kusanagi

This manga, is starting to feel like it's dragging. Which makes me really sad. I don't know what the story is supposed to be anymore, and it almost feels like it's the same for the author. I still want to read to the end. But I'm a bit at the point where I don't feel the need to read the next one as soon as it comes out. I'm okay with waiting until there's more volumes out so I can read them back to back the way I read the rest of the series before I caught up. I still love the characters, I just don't know what their motives are anymore.
 
*****

The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 6 - 9 by Kore Yamazaki

I see people express that the plot of this manga is "slow", and I somewhat disagree. This is just a story that doesn't rush through the plot to get to the next bit of action. It really hasn't been that long since Chise became Elias's apprentice, they are still getting to know each other, and she is still coming out of her shell. It doesn't help that I also started watching the anime shortly after starting the manga, it caused me to forget some of what exactly was happening. Either watch all the anime, and then read the manga, or the other way around. Don't do them at the same time if you have to wait for library holds for volumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment