Translate

Thursday, November 2, 2023

Review: Kings of the Wyld by Nicholas Eames

Title: Kings of the Wyld
Author: Nicholas Eames
Series: The Band #1
Genre: Adult Fantasy/Adventure
Publisher: Orbit
Publication Date: February 21, 2017
Edition: 464 pages, Kindle Edition
Source: Purchased
Purchase: Amazon US | Barnes & Noble | BAM | Bookshop | Powell's | Thriftbooks
 
 
 
 
 
Synopsis:
   A retired group of legendary mercenaries get the band back together for one last impossible mission.
   Clay Cooper and his band were once the best of the best, the most feared and renowned crew of mercenaries this side of the Heartwyld.
   Their glory days long past, the mercs have grown apart and grown old, fat, drunk, or a combination of the three. Then an ex-bandmate turns up at Clay's door with a plea for help -- the kind of mission that only the very brave or the very stupid would sign up for.
   It's time to get the band back together.


******************************
This book was a lot of fun. I went in expecting a D&D campaign, and that is exactly what I got. The humor didn't always land for me, but I wasn't bothered by it, there's a handful of dick jokes. The numerous jokes about Bards were pretty funny though.

I did like all the characters, Moog is probably my favorite character. But who doesn't love a slightly unhinged wizard? Clay was a very likeable character, I like seeing male characters who love their families. Mat, I didn't hate him, but I he might be my least favorite of the group. Ganelon, I wish he had more page time, or lines. He was the most intriguing since he was the one that we didn't get to know as well. Gabe was about on par with Clay. Gabriel is also someone who loves his family, almost to a fault. He gave them everything they asked for no matter the cost. And that ultimately backfired on him.
The side-characters were also really great. I love Jain, I hope she shows up in Bloody Rose. Kit was also great, I also want to see him again. I would like to learn a little more about Larkspur as well.

I like the world-building, but parts of it felt a little underdeveloped. Mostly the stuff with the Druin. I hope to learn more about them in the sequel, Bloody Rose (which I plan on reading soonish).

The quest to get where they were going was more interesting than the end battle. A lot of it just, happened. Then the book kind of just... ended. And we get a small time-jump to Clay returning home after getting a couple paragraphs for the rest of the team and where they went and what happened to them. I would've liked more of it to be wrapped up. A lot of the ending was glossed over, and that is what makes me want to read the sequel the most. I hope some of that will be cleared up.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment