Translate

Friday, September 15, 2023

Review: Heir of Novron by Michael J. Sullivan

Title:
Heir of Novron
Author: Michael J. Sullivan
Series: The Riyria Revelations #05-06
Genre: High Fantasy/Adventure
Publisher: Orbit
Publication Date: January 31, 2012
Edition: 946 pages, Kindle Edition
Source: Library
Purchase: Amazon US | Barnes & Noble | BAM | Bookshop
 
 
 
 
 
Synopsis:
The New Empire intends to mark its victory over the Nationalists with a bloody celebration. On the high holiday of Wintertide, the Witch of Melengar will be burned and the Heir of Novron executed. On that same day the Empress faces a forced marriage, with a fatal accident soon follow. The New Empire is confident in the totality of its triumph but there's just one problem-Royce and Hadrian have finally found the true Heir of Novron---and they have their own holiday plans.
Heir of Novron is the final volume of The Riyria Revelations and includes Wintertide and ---available for the first time--- the final volume, Percepliquis.
**************************

This series was such a delight to read. I need to buy it now so I can re-read it. I would like to r-read this book in particular because I got busy with other stuff while I was reading it and had to return it to the library and re-borrow it a bit later to finish it, so I read this in parts. Making some of the details a bit foggy.
 
Most people talk about Royce and Hadrian, and while I do love them as characters, I think the most notable character development comes from Arista. She's such a fantastic character. In book one she was kind of just there, but as the series went on her role grew. With out her everything would've fallen apart.
 
Royce goes through something really tough in this book, and I felt for him. That was the biggest shock in this book, I wasn't sure how he was going to come back from it. Hadrian was there for him, but the one to really pull him out of his grieving wasn't expected.
 
What happened to Miranda, was kind of glossed over, especially since I don't recall her being part of the book much before that, but I would have liked to what happened to her to be more clear. I even re-read the passage a few times and it still wasn't fully clear to me. And her brother, Degan, didn't seem to be concerned about where she was at all. But that part I suppose is less shocking since he is a self-centered character.
 
Knowing how things actually started and seeing how history got bastardized and altered to benefit a certain character was really interesting. History is always re-written by the victors, and after reading how things got rewritten since the ending of Legends I'm looking forward to reading The Rise and Fall series even more to find out how the empire fell.

I am very excited to read the rest of the series' set in this world now. And I do wonder if there will be more books set in the future because there is still a small thing that hasn't yet been resolved that was revealed in Legends.

No comments:

Post a Comment