Translate

Friday, June 16, 2023

ARC Review: The Judas Blossom by Stephen Aryan

Title:
The Judas Blossom
Author: Stephen Aryan
Series: The Nightingale and The Falcon Trilogy #1
Genre: Adult Fantasy/Historical Fantasy
Publisher: Angry Robot
Publication Date: July 11, 2023
Edition:
Kindle Edition
Source: NetGalley
Pre-Order: Amazon US | Barnes & Noble | BAM | Bookshop | Powell's | Thriftbooks
 
 
 
 
 
 Synopsis:
1260, Persia:
   Due to the efforts of the great Genghis Khan, the Mongol Empire covers a vast portion of the known world. In the shadow of his grandfather, Hulagu Khan, ruler of the Ilkhanate, is determined to create a single empire that covers the entire world. His method? Violence.
   His youngest son, Temujin Khan, struggles to find his place in his father’s bloody rule. After another failure, Temujin is given one last chance to prove himself to Hulagu, who is sure there is a great warrior buried deep inside. But there’s something else rippling under the surface… something far more powerful and dangerous than they could ever imagine…
   Reduced to the position of one of Hulagu’s many wives, the famed Blue Princess Kokochin is the last of her tribe. Alone and forgotten in a foreign land, Kokochin is unwilling to spend her days seeking out trivial pursuits. Seeking purpose, she finds herself wandering down a path that grants her more power than a wife of the Khan may be allowed.
   Kaivon, the Persian rebel who despises the Mongols for the massacre of his people, thirsts for revenge. However, he knows alone he cannot destroy the empire. When given the opportunity to train under the tutelage of Hulagu, Kaivon must put aside his feelings and risk his life for a chance to destroy the empire that aims to conquer the world.
   Family and war collide in this thrilling and bloody re-imagining of the Mongol Empire’s invasion of Persia.

An imaginative and sprawling epic fantasy re-imagining of the Mongol Empire's invasion of Persia, following the lives and treacherous journeys of four key figures in the heart of war.
 
*************

I liked it overall, but I really struggled with the pacing for much of the book. I feel like this is a trend with me and historical fantasy, the pacing is just a touch too slow for me in most of them.
 
 This book took a long time to really grasp me, as previously stated, the pacing killed this book for me. I struggled to get and stay invested in things. There are multiple POVs in this book, but the narration all sounded the same so if had to stop reading halfway through a chapter, I'd forget whose POV I was reading for a bit.

There was nothing 'wrong' with this book other than it just not being for me. Not sure what it was exactly, could be as simple as the writing style didn't work for me.

It's taken me a while to collect my thoughts enough to write something, and I just don't have a whole lot to say. This book was just fine for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment