Translate

Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Bulk Review: The Manga I've Been Reading

 
Over the past couple of years I've been reading a lot of Manga through my library as e-books. I think I've mentioned this on another post, but I can't remember right now, but since I read them so quickly, I can finish one in about an hour, and sometimes the wait between volumes can be long, making a written review for each volume doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Especially since they are so short.
 
 
I know I've mentioned Yona about a dozen and a half times, but it's still on-going and I've recently read the most recent translated volume that is out, Volume 38. It ends on a very perilous note, so I am anxious to say the least for how this whole story is going to end. I have no idea how many volumes it's going to have but it's coming up on 40. I know there are a lot of series that have more volumes, but I'm worried that things are coming to a close and there is so much more that I want to happen in a good way for Yona and her little found family and I worry that it's not going to happen.

*********************************

The other one that I've also more than likely mentioned is Snow White with the Red Hair. This one I am less nervous about, as its a more wholesome manga. A very low steaks "fantasy". I say fantasy loosely because it's set in a different world but there doesn't seem to be any magic exactly. Plants with semi-magical properties. Shirayuki, our main character, is a court herbalist, and the story follows her and Prince Zen and their paths and their freaking adorable romance. A complaint I do have with this is how little time they spend together because of their individual obligations. But I also get it, they're both adults with jobs to do. I just wish they had more cute time together. There aren't that many volumes out/translated yet, but I to get back to the series as soon as my library has them.
*********************************

Another that I've recently picked up because I kept hearing people talk about it, and it looked cute. is Witch Hat Atelier. This one is borderline middle-grade in tone. There are some dark themes,but I think Japan doesn't shy away from talking about death.
This is a story about a girl who wants to be a witch so much, but this is a world where only a select few have magic. But she gets tricked by a "Brimmed hat", and something happens that gets her sucked into the world of witches. It's a coming of age tale, with a mystery aspect to it. The magic and world building are amazing, and I am really loving it. It does read kind of young compared to the other ones on this list but it's still worth a read if it sounds like something you'd like. I'm only a few volumes in, and I think it's a fairly new manga.
 

*********************************
 
This one is very different from the rest on this list so far. It's kind of a mystery thriller. More "adult" than the others for sure. It has ✨spicy scenes✨. When Nao was a child, her mother was arrested for murder. 15 years later Nao gets a post-mordum letter from her mother saying she didn't do it, and the same day comes face to face with her childhood love and the son of the man her mother "killed". He doesn't recognize her but asks her to marry him and Nao agrees to possibly get to the bottom of what really happened that night and clear her mother's name. A very toxic romance ensues. This story is, in a word, messy. But I am so invested, even though I'm only 5 volumes in.

*********************************
 
I considered not including this one because I didn't really care for it. There was nothing wrong with it, I thought it was kind of boring. Which, considering the plot made it even more disappointing. I just wasn't invested in the characters. And in a story like this if I don't like the characters, I can't care about what they're doing or going through. This should've been a very high steaks story, but I was left feeling 'meh' about everything. It felt like it was trying too hard, and I didn't get the "Super Dark Alice in Wonderland" vibe I hoped I would. In the one volume I read, there was no connection to Alice in Wonderland beyond the name of one of the characters and that they were transported to different world.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment