Translate

Wednesday, March 30, 2022

ARC Review: The Might by Siri Pettersen

Title:
The Might
Author: Siri Pettersen
Series: The Raven Rings #3
Genre: Fantasy/Adventure/Mythology
Publisher: Arctis Books
Publication Date: March 29th, 2022
Edition: Kindle ARC
Source: NetGalley
Purchase: Amazon US | Barnes & Noble | BAM | Book Depository | Bookshop | Powell's | Thriftbooks
 
 
 
Synopsis:
    Hirka has been sent to the world of the blind, a powerful and immortal people whom she has been taught to fear since infancy--and who now see her as their only chance to reignite a thousand-year-old war. The blind will use Hirka's ability to travel between worlds to return to Ym, the land where Hirka grew up and where the blind were betrayed all those years ago. And this time, they will prevail.
   Hirka is torn between her loyalties to the people who birthed her and the people who raised her, between the savior she is expected to be and the individual she wants to be. And every choice she makes pulls her further away from Rime, the love of her life, who is doing everything he can to stop Ym from falling to pieces all around him.
   A million things stand between Hirka and Rime. But only together can they stop the end of the worlds.
 **********
This book was one heck of a roller-coaster. I got this in December as an ARC, and it took me so long to both get to it (I started it at the start of this month) and finish it because I was nervous. I had no idea what was going to happen to these characters, I didn't even know if any of them were going to make it out okay, let alone alive. 

Hirka and Rime go through it in this book. Much like they have in the other books in the series. But this time they are alone, with limited allies. And it just ups the tension. Rime's chapters were slightly less interesting, but that has little to do with how I feel about his character and more to do with Hirka's being far more interesting to me. Her in another new world, the world that is supposed to be her home, but she feels more like an outsider than she did while growing up in Ym. Seeing her overcome more struggles than ever before.

The conclusion wasn't what I was expecting, but it was deserved in my opinion. I've seen a lot of reviews that talk about the ending not giving them closure, just a desire for more books with these characters, but I personally feel like that is the best kind of ending in a way. The world isn't a Happily Ever-after, and the "where will they go now" aspect for Rime and Hirka is what they deserve after all they've been through. This review is very short and very vague because it's the last in a trilogy, and I don't want to give things away.
 
Another thing, I find the YA label from American publishing does this book a disservice in a way. This is nothing against YA, as I still read the "genre" but, this book isn't YA. The main character might be 17, but that's not enough to put it in that category. I think this series is suitable for any lover of fantasy. America, or North America I guess is more accurate, needs to reassess how they categorize books, especially ones that are translated work.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment