Translate

Thursday, December 2, 2021

Book Beginning | Friday 56 | Blogger Hop || Skin Curse (The Gate Cycle #2) by Kristin Jacques

Please join us over at Rose City Reader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.


This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


So, I completely spaced on preparing a post last week. But, it was Thanksgiving, so I think I get a pass.
I plan to make this my next ebook read, but I have so many from NetGalley I need to get through. I recently decided to not share NetGalley reads for this, since many have release dates that are months away. I think I'm not even supposed to share them, oops. But I read the first book in this series, Marrow Charm, in 2019 and have been meaning to read this. The third book comes out in August 2022.


Synopsis:
   The Children of the Gate wait for the call to Rise.
Azzy Brimvine knows her brother is in the vast city of Avergard. She must find him, but time is not on their side.
   In the House of Seven Smiles, Azzy struggles to understand the constraints and limits of her power. She finds the whispering voices that guided her for so long, suddenly silent. The enigmatic Lord Wallach is both a frustrating ally and a dangerous mystery, and a strange entity lurks among the household servants. The haven Azzy sought may not be as safe as she thought... but is anywhere truly safe in the Above?
   The city of Avergard is full of monsters and secrets, and a dark history festers at its root. A yawning pit nestles in the house of a scheming lord, who will use Armin's dangerous gifts to raise history, and raze the city to the ground. As Azzy finds herself and her brother pulled into these machinations, she must navigate the politics and society of Avergard's brutal ruling class to save her family and friends before the Gate consumes them all.

**********



Book Beginning:
Azzy was safe. Through the thick glass of her bedroom window lay a city of monsters, both hidden and seen.

Friday 56:
Eleanor froze. The sudden change in his demeanor caused her instincts to scream, she wanted to lash out, strike him with claws or the sharp barbed tip of her tail, but she could feel his will pinning her down.









***********************************

Book Blogger Hop
Click Here to add your link
 
Q: Why did you start a book blog?
 
A: Honestly, boredom. This blog was initially just a place for me to share thoughts. It didn't get "rebranded" into a book blog until around 2013 after I found out how big the book blogging community was. My first reviews are terrible. I just didn't know how to write them.

6 comments:

  1. Looking back at my first reviews makes me cringe so hard, I really had no idea what I was doing xD I love the cover for 'Skin Curse', and that F56 definitely has me intrigued! I also try to be careful when sharing books that aren't out yet, usually I just tend to grab one of my paperbacks that I'm reading alongside the NetGalley reads xD Thanks for sharing and I hope you have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have to look into this series. Thanks for sharing.

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. So dark and intriguing! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started my book blog because I wanted another place to share my book reviews and bookish stuff. Happy Friday! https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2021/12/first-line-friday-28-debutantes-code.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always interestin to look back at early blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wanted to keep track of my reading and it also helped me get free books! Hop on by...http://www.readinggrrl.com

    ReplyDelete