Translate

Thursday, August 5, 2021

Review: The Fires of Vengeance by Evan Winter

Title:
 The Fires of Vengeance
Author: Evan Winter 
Series: The Burning #2
Genre: Fantasy/War
Publisher: Orbit
Publication Date: November 10th, 2020
Edition: Kindle Edition, 544 pages
Source: Library




Synopsis:
   Tau and his Queen, desperate to delay the impending attack on the capital by the indigenous people of Xidda, craft a dangerous plan. If Tau succeeds, the Queen will have the time she needs to assemble her forces and launch an all out assault on her own capital city, where her sister is being propped up as the 'true' Queen of the Omehi.
   If the city can be taken, if Tsiora can reclaim her throne, and if she can reunite her people then the Omehi have a chance to survive the onslaught.


*********

   I had no idea what to expect going into this book. I avoided all talk about this book because I hadn't read the first one yet. And in between finishing that one and starting this one I just never looked anything up because I knew I was going to read it.

  The tone of this book was, in a lot of ways, different from the first book. It felt more action-packed even though there was less fighting. 
I felt that Tau actually had some character development in this book, compared to his one-track mind of revenge in the first book. There were more moments of him having "light-hearted" interactions. Nearly every person he talked to or interacted with in book one was somebody he was fighting. There was just less of that in this book, so those moments felt light-hearted. 

   I liked that we got to know Queen Tsiora, though I don't really know how to feel about her. I don't know if her sister is crazy, or they both are. I just know that I wasn't expecting that end to that threat. In that regard, it almost felt like there were too many antagonists in this book. We had the civil war element and the invading force. I hope the next book is more focused on how the true villain is. 

   I hoped that things with Jabari wouldn't be swept under the rug, and I'm glad they weren't. Everything was addressed. I know other authors might have waited to have those revelations come out, and I appreciate that it was addressed, and I like the way it was addressed. That both sides are "right". Tau is justified in how he feels and he was defending himself. But Jabari is also justified in wanting justice for what happened to his brother because of Tau. 

   I am really excited to read the third book. I look forward to where this is headed.

No comments:

Post a Comment