Translate

Thursday, August 6, 2020

Book Beginnings | Friday 56 | Friday 50/50 | Blogger Hop || The Time of Contempt (The Witcher #2) by Andrzej Sapkowski ||Best/Worst Read of July

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.


This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


Synopsis:
Geralt is a witcher: guardian of the innocent; protector of those in need; a defender, in dark times, against some of the most frightening creatures of myth and legend. His task, now, is to protect Ciri. A child of prophecy, she will have the power to change the world for good or for ill -- but only if she lives to use it.
A coup threatens the Wizard's Guild.
War breaks out across the lands.
A serious injury leaves Geralt fighting for his life...
... and Ciri, in whose hands the world's fate rests, has vanished.



Book Beginning:
Blood on your hands, Falka.
Blood on your dress.
Burn, burn, Falka, and die.
Die in agony for your crimes!

Friday 56:
The dwarf broke off and looked at the enchantress from beneath his bushy eyebrows. Ciri listened intently. Yennfer said nothing and toyed with her obsidian star.










--------------------------------------

50/50 Friday is a new weekly link-up hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts' blogs.

This week's topic is Best and Worst read for July.

Best

Worst


--------------------------------------

Book Blogger Hop
Click Here to add your link


Q: Do you read books by diverse authors or books with diverse characters (such as LGBT, ethnic minorities, religious minorities, etc)? 
If yes, do you have any book recommendations? 
Do you visit indie and/or used bookstores? 
Also, have you ever worked in any? 


A: - Yes. I try to keep my reading diverse, mainly so things don't get stagnant.
- Most of the books I read have a diverse cast of characters, so really anything I have read will work.
- I don't live near any book stores, but I have been to Powell's, not their main store in Down Town Portland, their smaller one in Beaverton. It's further away from me, but driving in/around DT-Portland is a nightmare on so many levels. (Parking, Traffic, some of the people in general, etc.)
- Unfortunately I have never worked in a bookstore, or fortunately, I don't imagine I would have much of a pay check if I had.

8 comments:

  1. This one sounds intense. Enjoy! Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “THE END OF HER”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard a lot of praise for The Witches series. I haven't read the books or finished watching the Netflix adaptation. The quotes are interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good to me!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to read Assassin's Apprentice too!
    Here's my Friday Post

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got BBOF posted late, but it is up now if you want to visit and link your post. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like an exciting book! I worked in a bookstore in college but it was a chain - felt like just another retail job most of the time... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of these days I need to try Robin Hobb. I can't wait to try more of the Witcher series.

    Thanks for sharing, Marie!

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Marie, yes paranormal romance and urban fantasy is full of diversity, however, I've noticed that some authors create stories with more diverse characters than others.

    ReplyDelete