Translate

Thursday, April 2, 2020

Book Beginnings | Friday 56 | Friday 50/50 | Blogger Hop || Storm Front (The Dresden Files #1) by Jim Butcher || Favorite/Least Favorite Read of March 2020

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.


This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.


I'm finally getting around to reading this series. I watched that not very good show they made in 2007 and then tried reading the books, the show tainted things a little, and I've gotten to the point that I've forgotten enough of the show that I can read the books now. I've also been on the waitlist for months and I finally got it today.


Synopsis:
HARRY DRESDEN — WIZARD
Lost Items Found. Paranormal Investigations. Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates. No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

  Harry Dresden is the best at what he does. Well, technically, he's the only at what he does. So when the Chicago P.D. has a case that transcends mortal creativity or capability, they come to him for answers. For the "everyday" world is actually full of strange and magical things—and most don't play well with humans. That's where Harry comes in. Takes a wizard to catch a—well, whatever. There's just one problem. Business, to put it mildly, stinks.
  So when the police bring him in to consult on a grisly double murder committed with black magic, Harry's seeing dollar signs. But where there's black magic, there's a black mage behind it. And now that mage knows Harry's name. And that's when things start to get interesting.
  Magic - it can get a guy killed.





Book Beginning:
  I heard the mailman approach my office door, half an hour earlier than usual. He didn't sound right. His footsteps fell more heavily, jauntily, and he whistled. A new guy. He whistled his way to my office door, then fell silent for a moment. Then he laughed.

Friday 56:
  "I'm stuck in a skull," Bob said. "If you don't let me out, I can't do much of anything, Harry."







*   *   *   *   *

50/50 Friday is a new weekly link-up hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts' blogs.

This week's topic is 'Favorite/Least Favorite Read of March 2020'.


Favorite
I had been anticipating this book since I heard it was going to be written. I loved being back in this world.

Least
It just had some pacing issues for me. I liked it enough, it just didn't impress me.

*   *   *   *   *


Book Blogger Hop
Click Here to add your link

Q: Do you have more photos of books you saw in a bookstore or elsewhere or family photos on your phone?

A: I don't take pictures of books in stores, but I do take pictures of books when I get new ones.
But I'd say there are more pictures of my cat than anything else on my phone. 



9 comments:

  1. Hi Marie, I've wanted to explore the Dresden Files series for so long. Perhaps, if I can find an e-book version I should use this time at home and dig in. I haven't seen any comments from you lately. When you reply do you use your name? Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Hope you are well and safely inside! My Friday quotes and a review

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a couple Jim Butcher books I need to get to still. :-) Happy weekend, stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'I'm stuck in a skull'? lol Now there's a sentence you don't hear very much! I still have some of his books to read, too! Hope you enjoy!

    Here is my Friday post. Stay safe, Marie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of the books from this series, but I've heard nothing but praise for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these books! I'm dying for the next book to come out. And yes, that tv series really sucked...

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've still never read the Legend series... and I know everyone loves it! Once I can get to a bookstore again, I should see if I can get the series!

    Thanks for linking up! Hope you're staying safe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love The Dresden Files and have book 4 - Summer Knight - on my TBR pile.
    I've got more photos of family and friends on my phone than books. ;-)
    I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend, stay safe and healthy.
    Here's my BBH Post
    Flora x

    ReplyDelete