Translate

Thursday, April 23, 2020

Book Beginning | Friday 56 | Friday 50/50 | Blogger Hop || Blood of Elves (The Witcher #1) by Andrzej Sapkowski || Favorite/Least Favorite DC Character

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.


This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.




It's been two months since I put it on hold after reading The Last Wish, and I finally got this book from the library. It's a good thing I borrow eBooks from the library, otherwise, I might have never gotten to this book at all. I really wish the "official" covers for the US versions weren't Game art. Though I prefer that to show-tie in covers.
      Edit: I did again, forgot to initially share the excerpts. Not sure where my brain was.

*   *   *   *   *

Synopsis:
  For more than a hundred years humans, dwarves, gnomes and elves lived together in relative peace. But times have changed, the uneasy peace is over and now the races once again fight each other - and themselves: Dwarves are killing their kinsmen, and elves are murdering humans and elves, at least those elves who are friendly to humans... Into this tumultuous time is born a child for whom the witchers of the world have been waiting.
  Ciri, the granddaughter of Queen Calanthe, the Lioness of Cintra, has strange powers and a stranger destiny, for prophecy names her the Flame, one with the power to change the world - for good, or for evil... Geralt, the witcher of Rivia, has taken Ciri to the relative safety of the Witchers' Settlement, but it soon becomes clear that Ciri isn't like the other witchers. As the political situation grows ever dimmer and the threat of war hangs almost palpably over the land, Geralt searches for someone to train Ciri's unique powers.
  But someone else has an eye on the young girl, someone who understand exactly what the prophecy means - and exactly what Ciri's power can do. This time Geralt may have met his match.






Book Beginning:
The town was in flames.

Friday 56:
"Cure, you? Of what? Of behaving like a child, surely! Take your hand from my backside, old man, or I'll set fire to that grey hair of yours!"












*   *   *   *   *

50/50 Friday is a new weekly link-up hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts' blogs.

This week's topic is Favorite/Least Favorite DC Character. I actually know more about DC characters than I do Marvel characters. Multiple watches of Young Justice have served me well. Also, DC movies were some of the first Superhero movies I saw growing up. Burton's Batman with Jack Nickleson came out when I was 3.

Favorite
Zatanna
A close second is Starfire. I really like the magic users in DC comics.

Least
Mr. Freeze
Though I am willing to admit that perhaps this^ portrayal is why I don't like the character.



*   *   *   *   *


Book Blogger Hop
Click Here to add your link

Q: Do the star ratings a book receives on Goodreads or retail sites affect whether you buy the book or not? 

A: Not star ratings. I think star ratings are kind of arbitrary anyway, it's why I don't use them on my blog. 

13 comments:

  1. Isn't The Last Wish the first book of the Witcher series? Anyway, I've been meaning to read it for such a long time!!! Thank you for reminding me :)
    Konna @ The Reading Armchair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Last Wish is #0.5 of the series, it's a novella bind-up that is recommended to read first. Blood of Elves is the official first book of the series.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I see! Thank you for the info :)

      Delete
  2. There's nothing there.... Anyway, happy weekend! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg... I completely forgot to share the excerpts. It's been one heck of a week. It's fixed now.

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad you added them... I was definitely missing out. Sounds like a wicked read!!!

      Delete
  3. I've been very thankful for e-books from the library, too. I happened to check out a bunch of print editions days before the order to stay home. I've read seven of the nine of those.

    Stay Safe and Stay Inside
    My Friday quotes are from LONESOME DOVE

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm waiting on my hold for Blood of Elves too. If only it would come in a little sooner. Zatanna is another favorite of mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did watch the Netflix series, but I haven't read any of these books yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both your excerpts got my attention. The first throws you into action right away, which I love. And the second made me chuckle.

    My least favorite DC character was specific to the way the character was portrayed in one instance too. I think it had a lot to do with the way the character was written in my case. Starfire is one of my daughter's favorite DC characters too. I'm not really familiar with her, I'm afraid.

    I stopped using star (or in my case paw) ratings on my blog after awhile. It's too easy to misinterpret them. I do use ratings on Goodreads and LibraryThing and on my own spreadsheet though. Those are more for my own personal reference than for other people's though.

    I hope you have a good week. Stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the teaser better than the opening sentence!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for answering my BBH question, Marie. ;-)
    I agree that star ratings and reviews in general are subjective. I don't rate books in my mini reviews anymore either but star ratings do play a part in my decision whether to buy a book if I'm on the fence about it or if I'm buying as a gift for someone but it's still the reviews, thoughts and comments for me that carry more weight. 💜 😊
    I hope you enjoy the rest of your week, stay safe and healthy.
    Here's my BBH Post
    Flora x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol my partner hates that Batman movie so much.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete