Translate

Thursday, January 2, 2020

Book Beginning | Friday 56 | Friday 50/50 | Blogger Hop | King of Thorns (The Broken Empire #2) by Mark Lawrence || Best/Worst Read of December 2019

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.


This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.



Glad the wait for this book wasn't too long from the library. 

Synopsis:
The boy who would be King has gained the throne...
  Prince Honorious Jorg Ancrath vowed when he was nine to avenge his slaughtered mother and brother—and punish his father for not doing so. When he was fifteen, he began to fulfill that vow. Now he is eighteen—and he must hold on by strength of arms to what he took by torture and treachery.
  King Jorg is a man haunted: by the ghost of a young boy, by a mysterious copper box, by his desire for the woman who rides with his enemy. Plagued by nightmares of the atrocities he committed, and of the atrocities committed against him when he was a child, he is filled with rage. And even as his need for revenge continues to consume him, twenty thousand men march toward the gates of his castle. His enemy is far stronger than him. Jorg knows that he cannot win a fair fight.
  But he has found, in a chamber hidden beneath the castle, ancient and long-lost artifacts. Some might call them magic. Jorg is not certain—all he knows is that the secrets they hold can be put to terrible use in the coming battle.





Book Beginning:
    Prologue
I found these pages scattered, teased across the rocks by a fitful wind. Some were too charred to show their words, other fell apart in my hands. I chased them though, as if it were my story they told and not hers.

Friday 56:
I crouched by the woman. Already had to reach for her name. "The new king didn't protect you then?"
  "There's a king?" she said without interest, wanting me gone.




*   *   *   *   *


50/50 Friday is a new weekly link-up hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts' blogs.

This week's topic is Best and Worst read of December.
Covers linked to my review.

Best



Worst


*   *   *   *   *   *


Book Blogger Hop
Click Here to add your link


Q: Do you have any New Year's Blogging Resolutions? 

      A: None currently. I try not to make promises to myself or others that I can't keep. 

8 comments:

  1. I like the quote from the prologue. Hope you enjoy the book. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't make New Year's resolutions. Why start the new year with pressure on yourself. Thanks for sharing. Happy New Year! I'd love for you and your readers to check out mine. https://lisaksbookthoughts.blogspot.com/2020/01/its-cozy-food-friday-that-means-its.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still need to read Prince of Thorns! :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the first book in this series but never got around to continuing. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I've seen this book around! I love those snippets. This looks like something I need to check out myself. Thanks for sharing!

    Here's my Friday post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Fallen Kingdom is such a good book!!!

    Thanks for linking up and I hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't make resolutions either, I prefer setting goals :)

    My BBH

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only read the first book in this series, but I loved it. I need to continue it.

    ReplyDelete