Translate

Saturday, December 22, 2018

Review: Calamity by Brandon Sanderson

Title: Calamity
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Series: The Reckoners #3
Genre: YA/Sci-fi
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Publication Date: February 16th, 2016
Edition: Kindle Edition, 434 pages
Source: Library
Purchase: Amazon US | Kobo | Barnes & Noble | BAM



Synopsis:
  When Calamity lit up the sky, the Epics were born. David’s fate has been tied to their villainy ever since that historic night. Steelheart killed his father. Firefight stole his heart. And now Regalia has turned his closest ally into a dangerous enemy.
    David knew Prof’s secret, and kept it even when Prof struggled to control the effects of his Epic powers. But facing Obliteration in Babilar was too much. Once the Reckoners’ leader, Prof has now embraced his Epic destiny. He’s disappeared into those murky shadows of menace Epics are infamous for the world over, and everyone knows there’s no turning back. . . .
    But everyone is wrong. Redemption is possible for Epics—Megan proved it. They’re not lost. Not completely. And David is just about crazy enough to face down the most powerful High Epic of all to get his friend back. Or die trying.
Embrace your epic destiny and there's no turning back.
Is there?



I wish I had read this book a lot sooner, I just got sidetracked and didn't finish it when this book first came out. I kept waiting for the series to go on sale so I could just buy it and maybe convince my husband to read it. But it never did, and then I got distracted by other books and life. 

So, I think this might be one of my favorite series ever. 
All the characters are just great, and the plot, and the writing, the setting, I just love everything about this series. 
However, the ending was a little too open-ended for me. I think there should have been a longer epilogue or something.

Each of the characters has grown so much through this series, David has become more sure of himself. Though he still remains a huge nerd. I like how he stepped up in the role of being a leader.
Megan is kind of the only other character besides David who's had a lot of growth. She had a larger task of accepting her powers and being okay with having them.

It might have been that I was kind of rushing to finish this because it was a library book, but the plot at times felt a little rushed. There was a lot of action, but it happened also a lot of sitting around and talking.

I did enjoy this book, and I think I would have liked it more had I read this book as soon as it had come out when the other books were still fresh in my mind. It was still a great ending, even though I would have liked more of an epilogue than there was.

I do recommend this series, and I love Brandon Sanderson's writing. I think I might like his Fantasy books more though.

No comments:

Post a Comment