Translate

Monday, October 22, 2018

Top Ten Tuesday: Villains I Find Most Compelling/Interesting

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish,
And moved to That Artsy Reader Girl 
To take part, just pick your top ten, and add the link here.

This list is in no particular order.



Queen Levana: The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer-
   Her motivations are seeded in true fears and beliefs. I can't say one way or another if she is completely evil. Her sister, yes was very sadistic and I think had her sister not been so cruel, and her parents hadn't died the way they did things might have turned out very differently for her. After reading her novella, I pitied her, but I didn't forgive her actions.

 King Gais: Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes-
   He kind of reminded me of Joffrey from Game of Thrones. Or the kind of King Joffrey would have been. He is a character that I think is completely evil. And he doesn't even bother to deny how sadistic he is. He knows who he is, and doesn't care. He will murder anyone who gets in his way and Cares for nothing and nobody but himself. He has nothing redeeming.

The Goblins: Goblins of Bellwater by Molly Ringle-
   These are some messed up little creatures. They are twisted, hate-filled, spiteful, all around terrible. But they were so well written and pretty compelling. Their leader is the embodiment of evil as far as I'm concerned.

The Darkling: The Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo-
   My reasons for liking this character is because how interesting I find his character. Even after all this time since reading the books. He remains one of the most interesting villains. Another one who I'm not sure if he was completely evil. He was just still that sad lonely little boy, even after all that time.

Thiago, The White Wolf: Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor-
   While not the worst villain in the series, he was the more stand-out one for me. There was just something about his brutality that made him the more interesting villain of the series.

Dolores Umbridge: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by JK Rowling-
   Arguably more evil than Voldemort. I actually hate her more than Voldemort. Sure, he tried to commit mass genocide, but so did Umbridge. She is a character I think I kind of like because she is so hateable.

"Father": Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood-
   This is an anime, but it was Manga first and those are books.
It's hard to talk about this character without spoiling the anime (Which you should all watch because it's amazing. It has great characters, great storytelling, great themes, great character development. So watch it.)
But his ideals are so... I want to say interesting but I'm not sure if that's the right word. I just know he's the most compelling villain in an anime (that I have watched).

Inan: Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi-
   While, most likely, not that main villain for the series. He is the one chasing our protagonist. His inner conflict and inner doubt for his mission make him interesting. His inner turmoil adds something to his character that not every villain has.

 I can only think of 8... 

6 comments:

  1. I totally hate Unbridge more than Voldemort. Al least Voldemort was up front about his evil-- Umbridge was trying to act like she was all prim and proper while abusing her power and being disgustingly evil the whole time. Also, YES to Levana!! I loved her backstory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, Dolores Umbridge. My left eye twitches every time I think about her. The descriptions of her were fantastic, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I forgot to include the link to our TTT:

      Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

      Delete
  3. Ugh Thiago was awful. And I totally hate Umbridge more than Voldemort.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/10/23/top-ten-tuesday-182/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh! Fullmetal Alchemist! I forgot about including Father and the Homunculi in my list, even though they're some of my favorite villains. So unique and evil and intimidating. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood was all in all a fantastic show, and I think its villains played a important role in its enjoyability.

    Here's my TTT: https://thebookquestbykris.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hated Umbridge, too! She’s one of those horrible enablers who just shrugs when terrible stuff happens because it doesn’t affect her.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete