Translate

Thursday, December 28, 2017

Friday 56 and Book Beginnings: Deadly Sweet (The Spellwork Syndicate #1) by Lola Dodge || Favorite/Least Favorite Trope

This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.

*     *     *     *     *

Synopsis:
     Anise Wise loves three things: baking, potion making, and reading her spell books in blissful silence. She might not be the most powerful witch in the suburbs, but enchantment is a rare skill, and her ability to bake with magic is even rarer. Unfortunately, witches have a bad rep, and Anise’s dream of attending pastry school crumbles with each rejection letter.
     Then her great aunt Agatha pops out of the woodwork with a sweet offer. If she signs on as Agatha’s apprentice, Anise can have all the training and ingredients she’s ever imagined, and she’ll inherit the family bakery.
     The catch? Studying with Agatha means moving to Sedona—a dangerous otherworldly power center where her aunt is a key player in the magical community’s shady dealings. And the last apprentice? Assassinated.
     Now Anise is next on the hit list. If she can’t find and stop whoever wants her dead, she’ll be more toasted than a crème brulee.
     Who knew baking cakes could be so life or death?




Book Beginning:
I started at the bank of mailboxes. My key jutted from the lock to box 13, but I couldn't twist it yet. It felt like a big dough ball was proofing in my stomach, the pressure building and building until I wanted to hurl.

My 56:
I ducked, covering my head against the spray of glass from the pastry case. The echoes of the dusted wards made my head spin.
*     *     *

50/50 Friday is a new weekly link-up hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts' blogs.

Since I don't read themed books, I'm just going with my favorite and least favorite trope, sometimes tropes work. It's just most of the time they are done poorly.

Favorite:
    Unlikely hero trope. When this is done well, it's my absolute favorite. When it's not done well, it turns into an annoying thing that ruins the book for me.
   Good example: Neville Longbottom
   Bad example: 90% of YA fiction

Least Favorite:
    Love triangles. They are just way overused, and they annoy me. Also, when these are in a book the book often becomes more about the love triangle than what the synopsis says it is.

9 comments:

  1. I've been binge-watching the Great British Baking show and the novel you picked seems like it might accompany that nicely.

    I have to agree with your tropes. Neville Longbottom is a wonderful example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cover is so sweet!!! The snippets, mostly the 56, magically drew me in! :-)
    Wishing you the best for 2018!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sound of this book and love the cover...my Friday meme

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds great. I'm going to add it to my wishlist. This week I have Dragon Blood by Eileen Wilks - the latest in her urban fantasy series. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yep, lock box 13, it all sounds like a deadly treat to read.

    I'd read this.

    Have a happy NEW YEAR and a great time New Year's Eve! :) Best wishes for 2018!

    Here's my choice for this week: http://bit.ly/2EbSyv5

    Luv Sassy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. the Unlikely hero trope is one that like you said, if it's done well, it's freaking awesome!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was so close to using love triangle too... but I do like a well written unlikely hero!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unlikely heroes are so wonderful! I'm actually kind of obsessed with the theory that Neville Longbottom could have been the chosen one because the circumstances in the prophecy match up with both he and Harry. Regardless, Neville and Hermione are definitely my favorite characters in HP :) Thanks for linking up, Marie!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  9. That number thirteen makes me feel like something bad is about to happpen here. I like the beginning.

    ReplyDelete