Translate

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books I Want My Child to Read

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish.
To take part, just pick your top ten, and add the link here.





Since I have a child, who loves being read to, this list might be pretty easy. Though I will never disparage any book he wants to read. Even if it's books I didn't enjoy. I also feel like there is more variety of kids books these days than there was for me growing up. But that might also have to do with going to a small school that didn't have that great of a collection. I also don't remember all the books I read as a kid, grade school was a long time ago. 


1. Harry Potter - This one is a given. He's not quite old enough for me to read it to him, as there aren't any pictures and it might not hold his attention. But I really want him to read the books. 

2. Percy Jackson -  Now, I personally didn't like these books. I also read them as a 26-year-old, I was obsessed with Greek mythology as a kid and books like this didn't exist so I read many of the actual myths instead. But, I think these are a good introduction to Greek mythology. As the actual myths are a little dark, and many are bizarre.

3. Animorphs - I read a few of these books as a kid. Not many and they were always checked out in my school's library. But the ones I did read, I really enjoyed.

4. R.L Stine -  Any of his books really. I mostly read the Feat Street series, because as a 9-10 year old I thought the Goosebumps books weren't scary enough. 

5. Shel Silverstein - He has some great children's poetry. And while I have lost my enjoyment of poetry, thankyou sophomore English class, I loved his poetry books as a child.

6. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory -  I remember reading this as a kid and liking it. My class also did a play of this, I was one of the Grandmothers.

7. The Chronicles of Narnia - These are classics, so it's a given that I would want him to read this series. 

8. Charlotte's Web -  Another classic that I think every kid should read. 

9. The Hobbit -  Maybe a little advanced for him to read as a kid, but when he's old enough, whatever age that may be, I would love him to read this book. This is the book that got me back into reading for fun. I kind of stopped reading for fun around middle school, and I read this book in high school and refound my love for reading.

10. Oz Series -  Most only know about The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, but there is a whole series of books, 14 books. I don't expect him to read all of these books, but I would love for him to read some, at least the first book in the series.




7 comments:

  1. This was a really great list. I have enjoyed many of these titles growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved a lot of these as well :-) I hope your son loves them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love so many of these, especially Harry Potter. Great list!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harry Potter, Percy Jackson and Charlotte's Web were all on my list this week too!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/11/14/top-ten-tuesday-133/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harry Potter and Roald Dahl would be musts for any kids I think. I was sad when I read Charlotte's web but I'm still terrified of spiders!

    ReplyDelete
  6. R.L. Stine was my #1 growing up. I had basically every book of his I could get my hands on (I don't know that I read them all, but) and I remember in particular being obsessed with "Call Waiting"! Great list.

    ReplyDelete