Translate

Thursday, October 26, 2017

Friday 56 and Book Beginnings: The Tethered Mage (Swords and Fire #1) by Melissa Caruso || Friday 50/50: Favorite/Least Favorite Scary Novel

This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.

Synopsis:
CONTROL THE MAGIC, CONTROL THE WORLD
     In the Raverran Empire, magic is scarce and those born with power are strictly controlled -- taken as children and conscripted into the Falcon Army. Zaira has lived her life on the streets to avoid this fate, hiding her mage-mark and thieving to survive. But hers is a rare and dangerous magic, one that threatens the entire empire.
     Lady Amalia Cornaro was never meant to be a Falconer. Heiress and scholar, she was born into a treacherous world of political machinations. 
     But fate has bound the heir and the mage. And as war looms on the horizon, a single spark could turn their city into a pyre. 


Book Beginning:
"Here, my lady? Are you sure?"
 As the narrow prow of my boat nudged the stone steps at the canal's edge, I wish I'd walked, or at least hired a craft rather than using my own. The oarsman was bound to report to La Contessa that her daughter had disembarked at a grimy little quay in a dubious corner of the Tallows, the poorest district of the city of Raverra.

56%:
"Excuse me?" I tried to turn the interrupting gentleman away with my cold tone, but he was too drunk to hear it, let alone care.
"You're a warlock." He glared at Zaira. "The bitch threatening to burn down Ardence."



*  *  *
50/50 Friday is a new weekly link-up hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts' blogs.

I don't really enjoy horror, like at all. A lot of it bores me. When it comes to movies, too many horror movies rely on gore to be scary and that's just gross, sometimes books do that too. It might also just be that don't have a good imagination for most horror. Book covers are linked to my Review.

Best


No Thank You

11 comments:

  1. It's hard to find a best and worst in a genre you don't like. But The Tethered Mage looks excellent. I love the quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I'm adding The Tethered Mage to my tbr right now! :)

    I'm not much for gore either - I loved You, such a good story. I want to try Girl of Nightmares - I loved Anna Dressed in Blood so much so I at least want to give it a shot. It's too bad you didn't care for it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this looks good! I just asked yesterday for books with black birds on them! (On Instagam) Spooky! LOVE this cover. Sounds good, too.

    Here's my entry for #Friday56 and #Bookbeginnings http://bit.ly/2iFfb4z (It's the second book in the 'An Ember in the Ashes' series - 'A Torch Against the Night.

    Have an ab fab weekend!

    Luv from Sassy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a book I would enjoy. I have a science fiction book this week - The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh sounds really good! Are you sure? Are you? Yep, want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't read scary books, but I love scary movies. Honest to goodness, make you scared to sleep movies. Blood and gore just doesn't do that for me. I hope you and your readers will check out mine today . . . http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsCF-DotKM

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me with 'warlock'. :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not really a horror fan either so I can imagine that this was a tough challenge. I love the beginning of The Tethered Mage. It's not a genre I'd usually choose but both the beginning and the 56 are intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You actually sounds like it would be a good book! Also the cover for The Tethered Mage looks awesome!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good, but too scary for me. It felt like something that could really happen, and I got scared.

      Delete
  10. I'm like you when it comes to horror; it's just not my thing. Scary books in general are just meh for me. A lot of the time, I'll find them hilarious which probably isn't the desired reaction. I haven't heard of You, though, and it seems pretty interesting so I think I'll give that one a shot :) Thanks for linking up, Marie!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete