Translate

Saturday, February 6, 2016

Review: Dead in the Water by Hailey Edwards

Title: Dead in the Water
Author: Hailey Edwards
Series: Gemini #1
Genre: Urban Fantasy/Fae/Mystery/Paranormal Romance
Publisher: CrushStar Multimedia LLC
Publication Date: January 30th 2016
Edition: Kindle Edition, 186 pages
Source: NetGalley
Purchase: Amazon US | Barnes and Noble

Synopsis:
     Camille Ellis is the Earthen Conclave’s golden girl. Her peculiar talent solves cases with a touch. She isn’t afraid of getting her hands dirty, but every bright star casts a shadow, and her deepest scars lurk just beneath the skin. 
     A routine consultation goes sideways when a victim’s brother gets involved in the investigation. Riding the edge of grief, the warg will go to any lengths to avenge his sister’s death. Even if it means ensuring Cam’s cooperation at the jaws of his wolf. 
     When the killer strikes again, Cam is caught between a warg and a hard place. To save the next victim, she must embrace her past. Even if it means dragging her darkest secrets into the light of day. 


I have loved the other fae books by this author, so when I saw this one on NetGalley, I instantly requested it and was thrilled when I got approved. But I knew it would be a completely different batch of characters. And that can always be a gamble for many authors, unable to recreate the magic from other series. That was not the case here.

This book was so damn good, just as good as the other series that I've read by Edwards. Of course it was different. Cam isn't the same kind of Fae as T, and her home life is different. I wasn't expecting the same personalities or anything in these characters, and I wouldn't want that either, different story different characters. 

At first, I wasn't sure what to think of Cam, she wasn't really that sure of her self in a way, but that has a lot to do with her past and a loss she is steal dealing with. One she'll probably never get over. But she was confident in her work life, just not so much in parts of her personal life. I really liked learning about this Gemini fae, I am and have been since probably about late grade school early middle school with mythology and everything and I've never heard of a fae called Gemini. So I am really curious what it's biased on. 

There was a less interesting than I had hoped mystery in this book. Trying to find a fae creature that's killing fae children, and who is really doing it, if the Conclave is involved in anyway. It was kind of danced around a lot, that the possibility that Cam's bosses could behind the mess in the first place was way more interesting than some other plot points that had a little more focus than I thought they deserved. 

I hope that gets explored in the next book a bit. I want to know how Cam handles a situation like that. I want to see certain characters back in the next book, and be a bigger part of the story. This book is worth picking up, but you kind of have to read the other series (Black Dog) first. Some things mentioned are spoilers.

No comments:

Post a Comment