Translate

Friday, April 4, 2014

Vain by Fisher Amelie

Seven Deadly #1
     If you’re looking for a story about a good, humble girl, who’s been hurt by someone she thought she could trust, only to find out she’s not as vulnerable as she thought she was and discovers an empowering side of herself that falls in love with the guy who helps her find that self, blah, blah, blah...then you’re gonna’ hate my story.
     Because mine is not the story you read every time you bend back the cover of the latest trend novel. It’s not the “I can do anything, now that I’ve found you/I’m misunderstood but one day you’ll find me irresistible because of it” tale. Why? Because, if I was being honest with you, I’m a complete witch. There’s nothing redeeming about me. I’m a friend using, drug abusing, sex addict from Los Angeles. I’m every girlfriend’s worst nightmare and every boy’s fantasy.
     I’m Sophie Price...And this is the story about how I went from the world’s most envied girl to the girl no one wanted around and why I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.

I don't know what I was expecting when I went into this book, but it sure wasn't this.

Vain is the first book in Fisher Amelie's Seven Deadly Sins series, it follows a girl named Sophie Price, who is the embodiment of the word Vain. She takes what she wants and offers no apology. She is beautiful and knows it.

At the beginning of the book that beauty only goes skin deep. Then she gets busted and sentenced to 6 months working at an orphanage in Africa. And for someone who is not used to doing anything for someone else, this sentencing is close to the death penalty for Sophie.

Sophie's character really grows from this type of girl that uses her looks and her status to walk all over everyone else. She is spoiled, selfish, and petty. By the end of the book she is giving away half her money to the orphanage and willing to risk losing the man she fell for so that he can stay close to his family.

This book was just so damned good, I don't even fully know how to express that. It was part coming of age, self-discovery, there was some nail biting moments, some tear-jerking moments, and a romance that was really believable and made me actually care about it.

This story was touching and wonderful. I can't wait to read the rest of the series. The only "down" to this book was Ian, the love interest, is supposed to be South African, yet when his dialog is spelled the way Americans would say things, it would have been nice to read words they way he would pronounce them so  I could get a better voice for him in my head whilst reading.

1 comment:

  1. I was not expecting your review to turn out the way it did. I suppose the title of the book threw me as well.

    ~N

    ReplyDelete