Translate

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Review: Winter by Marissa Meyer

Title: Winter
Author: Marissa Meyer
Series: The Lunar Chronicles #4
Genre: YA/Sci-Fi Fantasy/ Retelling
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Publication Date: November 10th 2015
Edition: Hardcover, 824 pages
Source: Purchased
Purchase: Amazon US | Kobo | Barnes and Noble | Book Depository | iBooks | BAM

Synopsis:
     Princess Winter is admired by the Lunar people for her grace and kindness, and despite the scars that mar her face, her beauty is said to be even more breathtaking than that of her stepmother, Queen Levana.
     Winter despises her stepmother, and knows Levana won’t approve of her feelings for her childhood friend—the handsome palace guard, Jacin. But Winter isn’t as weak as Levana believes her to be and she’s been undermining her stepmother’s wishes for years. Together with the cyborg mechanic, Cinder, and her allies, Winter might even have the power to launch a revolution and win a war that’s been raging for far too long.
     Can Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, and Winter defeat Levana and find their happily ever afters?
Review:

I done it! I finally read this book. Took me a long time to get around to reading it and when that happened, I alternated between not really being in the mood to read and when I was in the mood I didn't have time to. 

This was such a fantastic series, a series that I wasn't sure I was going to like when I first heard about it. I avoided reading Cinder for a long time because I didn't think I was going to like a book about Cyborg Cinderella, then I really avoided the series because I thought that the books weren't connected. This is all in my review of Cinder.

I loved reading this book, it took me three months, but it was such a ride reading this series. I don't know if I would have handled reading them one after another the way I am sure some people did. This series is pretty intense. There are some mildly slow parts, but they are few and far between. It added balance to all the action. Something that some books struggle to do.

Cinder is awesome, as was everyone else. I really enjoyed getting to know Winter and Jacin. Though I have to admit, I didn't really like Jacin all that much. He was pretty selfish. Yes, he loved Winter. But he only cared about her. He didn't really seem to care one way or another what happened to everyone else as long as Winter was safe. And that's not what Winter wanted at all. I kind of feel that he should have been doing what Winter would want, rather than what he wanted for her. There was one part when Scarlet had to snap at Winter to get her attention and Jacin tells her not to yell at Winter, and Scarlet snaps back to stop coddling her. And he does, he does coddle her.

But that's hardly the important parts of this book. I really loved how everything turned out. I had a feeling that Levana wasn't going to have some kind of redemption, but I kind of wanted her to at least regret what she had done before her end. But I am pleased with the outcome.

The romances in this series were all really well done, and they never once outshined what the story was really about, and that was a revolution, freeing two worlds from someone who had become a tyrant, Levana did start with what she thought were good intentions, but she went too far.

I grew to love characters I was indifferent about in the earlier books, Cress had some really great character development. Her entrance to the series, she was this very timid girl and but she really grew and was pretty awesome.

I feel like I am rambling, but there is so much to say about this book but it's all spoilers. I can't wait to read what Meyer writes next, and I plan on reading Stars Above, as soon as it's avalible at the Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment