Translate

Monday, February 22, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books/Series I Read Recently (last yearish) That Wasn't in My Typical Comfort Zone

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish.
To take part, just pick your top ten, and add the link here.

So, this is probably kind of lame, but I don't really venture outside my comfort zone with reading. No reason other than I know what I like, and I just tend to stick to it. I do however like many genres of books. But! I will try to pick books that are more of a sub-genre of books that I don't read often that I didn't completely hate. :p

Steam-punk 

    This series is, well, it's interesting. I'm not sure if I can say whether it's good or not. It was enjoyable, but there were a couple weird plot points that I am unsure about. And the second book kind of had a nonending that set-up a sequel (that at the time didn't seem like it was going to have one) that left me scratching my head.







    This book is so damn good. There was nothing I could think of that I didn't love. I may have given it 4 stars, but that does not mean I didn't love it. (4 stars on Goodreads is what mainly give to books I enjoy, 5 stars are for special books)







  I am not 100% if these are actual steampunk, but they had a very steampunk feel to them. I am so excited to read the third book, whenever it comes out. So. Damn. Excited. They are more an adult series than a YA series. The characters are older, and they are just for a more "mature" audience. So if you are okay with language, and a fair amount of implied sex, and lots of murder, then you might enjoy these books.




     I have kind of a love/hate relationship with this series so far. I found these books intensely intriguing, and there was something strangely interesting about them. But I had issues with a couple of naming options and terms. Some descriptors were odd to me. But I'll read the third book if I can get it from NetGalley like I did the first two books. If not, I'll just wait to see if my library gets it.




  Now, this book, I started but did not finish. And I did not make it very far. Needless to say, I didn't care for this book at all. There was a lot wrong with it. If this had been my first Steampunk book, I probably would have abandoned the genre. It was that terrible.







    I have gushed about this book to whom ever will listen. Re-telling/kind of sequel to Dr.Jekyll/Mr.Hyde. Yes, please. I am just only sad there isn't really a sequel to this book. But everything was wrapped up so nicely, that I think a sequel or it being a two book story would have ruined it.







     I have a deep love for this series. This husband and wife team created what I consider a great series that balances magic and technology and made a really unique Steampunk story. I really want more books with these characters. I think more can be told. More adventures and awesome battles.




11 comments:

  1. Ah, Steampunk. I didn't think of it. Now I will have to go back and check my list to see if I've actually read any at all recently. I haven't read any of your selections but some sound so good. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a hard time with steampunk, I want to like it but a lot of the ones I read don't really work for me. Guess I'm too picky. :) Several of these look good, and I like the covers of Lumiere and Hour of Mischief a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't really read Steampunk at all... I read one a while ago that kind of turned me off the genre. But a couple of these look good, so maybe I should try again!
    here's my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are a few books here that I would love to read.

    My TTT.

    Also, feel free to check out the last week of our
    giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of the covers for these are just gorgeous! I really want to check out Hour of Mischief!

    My TTT.

    Also, feel free to check out the last week of our giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! A steampunk theme. I'd like to read more steampunk, but haven't. Outside of the newbie novel Curio, I'm pretty clueless. But these covers are gorgeous!

    Thanks so much for visiting Dreaming Under the Same Moon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read any of these books but they all look like books I'd really enjoy :D Great list! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Steampunk covers can be really fun looking! I haven't read much steampunk, but I've definitely enjoyed some of my forays into the genre.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've dismissed steampunk so far, but I'll give it a try! (How can you not love all the costumes at comic-cons/ expos?!) My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  10. Steampunk novels always catch my eye, but I never really knew where to start with the genre. This is a great list of recommendations!
    Thanks for stopping by the The Local Muse

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read a lot of steampunk, but I've got all of these on my tbr. The Crown and Key series sounds especially good! :)

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete