Translate

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Review: Noir by Jacqueline Garlick

Title: Noir
Series: The Illumination Paradox #2
Genre: YA/Steampunk/
Publisher: Amazemo Books
Publication Date: January 26th, 2015
Pages: Kindle Edition, 334 pages
Source: NetGalley



Synopsis:
     With Urlick imprisoned for the murder of Professor Smrt, Eyelet must find her way back through the Infirm-infested woods, to the forbidden city of Brethren, to free Urlick before it’s too late. 
     Along the way, she elicits the help of Crazy Legs, Urlick’s longtime friend. Together they overthrow a travelling freak show train destined for Brethren, with plans to use it to distract the city, so Urlick can make an escape. But Eyelet is lead astray, when a haunting image from her past appears in an abandoned factory at the edge of town. There she unearths a series of ungodly secrets and soon finds herself, imprisoned. 
     Will C.L. be able to save them both from their fates? 
Or will he too, fall prey to the tyranny of Brethren's newest Ruler? 
     Rumor has it the Ruler has secrets of her own. 
Secrets she’s determined to keep. 
Seems an heir may have been overlooked. 
The true heir to the Commonwealth throne. 



    This book was strange. And in someways not as good as the first. The added POV for CL's was possibly my least favorite part. He, I assume, is supposed to be kind of uneducated, so he kind of talks like Hagrid as way of accent. But the problem I had with that was even when it was just his thoughts the accent was written in, not just when he was speaking. I found that to be very awkward to read, and I didn't think it made sense that his thoughts pronounced things the way his mouth would. I actually would have liked to see more from Flossie's perspective, even though I hate her so very much. But I think we're supposed to. 

The beginning and the ending were really great and fast paced. There was a couple chapters around the middle that dragged on a bit and slowed the story down. Some of the descriptions of their numerous escapes were a little too wordy and sometimes it wasn't all that clear what was happening. It was maybe just two or three chapters worth, not much but enough that it made my brain shut off when I was reading it.

I really love Urlick, he has really grown since the last book, and Eyelet is still a little self-righteous and there was a couple of times when I wanted to grab her and shake her, screaming "Stop it." in her face.

There was a lot more action in this book and Urlick and Eyelet grow even closer, and I actually like their relationship. They are cute, and though they grew close as they have kind of fast, it didn't really seem all the much like "insta-love". 

I have some slight mixed feelings about this book, but there was a pretty crazy cliffhanger at the end that has me anxious to know what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment