Translate

Monday, May 12, 2014

Storm by Brigid Kemmerer

Elemental #1
Book Summary via Goodreads:
"Earth, Fire, Air, Water – they have more power than you dream.
     Ever since her ex-boyfriend spread those lies about her, Becca Chandler is suddenly getting all the guys—all the ones she doesn't want. Then she saves Chris Merrick from a beating in the school parking lot. Chris is different. Way different: he can control water—just like his brothers can control fire, wind, and earth. They’re powerful. Dangerous. Marked for death.
     And now that she knows the truth, so is Becca.
Secrets are hard to keep when your life’s at stake. When Hunter, the mysterious new kid around school, turns up with a talent for being in the wrong place at the right time, Becca thinks she can trust him. But then Hunter goes head-to-head with Chris, and Becca wonders who’s hiding the most dangerous truth of all.
The storm is coming . . ."

Okay, so I read this book a year ago. That was around the time that I decided to take this neglected blog and turn it into a book blog. (Seems like longer than that). Anyways, I didn't really give a clear thought out review on this book. I was new at it and I hadn't read many books since high school at that point. Well here I am, giving this book the review it deserves.

I re-read this book yesterday (for the I don't even know how many time since I first read it) and I have a few things that need to be said about this book that I didn't say before.

I freaking LOVE this series.  I freaking love this book. I love how the characters when they talk actually sound like real people, and how teenage boys sound. I love the concept, the characters, and the story. Sure the MC Becca is a little naive and made some pretty dumb decisions, but what teen hasn't?

Chris and Becca are one of my favorite book couples ever (even though they didn't really get together until the end of the first book.) And the way their relationship developed is the most realistic of any book with romance in it I have ever read. There was no insta-love. I mean not really. It was some one-sided at first but It wasn't exactly love.

There was only really one character I didn't care for. The "best friend" character Quinn, maybe it was her character felt underdeveloped, or it might have been that the kind of person her character was, is the kind of people that I like to avoid because they annoy me. I loved the other Merrick brothers, I mean... damn they are such great characters. Gabriel is my second favorite Merrick, he's so sarcastic and funny. We share the same sense of humor. Nick, Gabriel's twin, had a smaller part in this book, and Micheal (their much older brother and guardian) was a pretty mysterious and complex character in this book. But since the book focuses more on Chris and Becca than anyone else that makes sense. (there are books for each of the brothers, and I want to read them all)

Now I should be clear that, this book isn't about the kindling romance between Chris and Becca. Chris and his brothers are being harassed by other elementals (though they are not full elementals) and being stalked by a Guide ( A faction of the Elemental community that hunts down and kills other full elementals that are causing problems)

I have read about half the books in this series, and a couple of the novellas. I am still hoping that Chris and Becca will get a novella, since they are my favorite, because their chemistry was what drew me into this series and they are so cute and real as far as book relationships go. This series is worth every one's time. It is a very quick read, but it is a great read. The book has humor, suspense, a tear jerking moment, and a good deal of nail biting moments. I highly highly recommend it.

1 comment:

  1. I have this waiting to read I just need to find the time to read it!

    ~N

    ReplyDelete