Translate

Friday, June 1, 2018

Friday 56 and Book Beginnings: Ruthless Magic (Conspiracy of Magic #1) by Megan Crewe || Friday 50/50: Favorite/Least Favorite Read in May

This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.



Synopsis
In the contest to keep their magic, the only options may be; die... or kill.
    Each year, the North American Confederation of Mages assesses every sixteen-year-old novice. Some will be chosen. The rest must undergo a procedure to destroy their magical ability unless they prove themselves in the mysterious and brutal Mages' Exam.
    Disadvantaged by her parents' low standing, Rocío Lopez has dedicated herself to expanding her considerable talent to earn a place in the Confederation. Their rejection leaves her reeling—and determined to fight to keep her magic.
    Long ashamed of his mediocre abilities, Finn Lockwood knows the Confederation accepted him only because of his prominent family. Declaring for the Exam instead means a chance to confirm his true worth.
    Thrown into the testing with little preparation, Rocío and Finn find themselves becoming unlikely allies—and possibly more. But the Exam holds secrets more horrifying than either could have imagined. What are the examiners really testing them for? And as the trials become increasingly vicious, how much are they willing to sacrifice to win?



Book Beginning:
Finn
When I'd rehearsed this conversation with my father in my head, I'd been a shining example of wit, passion, and the famous Lockwood composure. Unfortunately, my imagination had lied.

My 56:
Rocío
We'd proven ourselves. The Confederation's most valuable soldiers. You should be proud.









*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   

50/50 Friday is a new weekly link-up hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts' blogs.

I had a strange reading month. There were about 4 books I didn't finish, and since I didn't make it very far into them I feel weird choosing one of those. So the one in the "worst" isn't the one I enjoyed the least, because I actually finished it.

Best


Worst
.

3 comments:

  1. The cover alone pulled me in! :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good one. And I've been seeing it around recently.

    My Friday 56 from Air And Ash

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an interesting read. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete