Translate

Thursday, May 24, 2018

Friday 56 and Book Beginnings: Year of Descendants (The Clockwork God Chronicles #3) by Aimee Hyndman || Friday 50/50: Book You Wish Was Recommended to You More/Less

This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.



Synopsis:
   The War between followers of the Clockwork Gods and the Elder Gods is in full swing, with Janet, as always, caught in the middle of it. This time, of course, she volunteered—though she knew she would be smote if she refused. Still, after three months running around Kabila with Itazura, trying and usually failing to recruit decedents of the Clockwork Gods to their cause, smiting almost doesn’t sound so bad.
   Then Janet’s enemy turned ally, Meroquio, shows up with a job especially for her: Infiltrate the largest encampment of decedents in the Elder God’s army, led by the Son of Winter. Acting has never been Janet’s strong suit, but she is eager to get some ground on the Elder Gods. The sooner this war is over, after all, the sooner she can begin the search for her friend Sylvia again.
   At least that’s what she thinks until she receives a catastrophic message from Parker—Sylvia’s body is gone, kidnapped by the Elder Gods. More desperate than ever, Janet throws herself headfirst into the war, finding friends behind enemy lines, a group of rogue decedents led by a dangerous boy named Neil, and a plot to breach Kalite’s water barriers, allowing armies to cross realms. And when the God’s Gem, a weapon that can drain the power of even the strongest deities, goes missing, it seems more likely than ever that this war could take a turn for the apocalyptic.
   If Janet and her allies can’t figure out a way to stop the Elder Gods, the world will be forever changed and Sylvia forever lost. And if Janet can’t control her ever-strengthening power, she might lose herself as well.


Book Beginning:
My power always stirred just before an infiltration mission. The anticipation of a job, in addition to the usual adrenaline rush, made my skin tingle, like the wind was trying to escape my body. It pulsed just beneath the surface, and I had to take deep breaths to push it back.

My 56:
"No. Vira almost short-circuited my arm," I replied, clasping my hand over my shoulder. This arm was the last thing I had of Grant after all. I had to protect it. "And Armin once betrayed my trust and got my team thrown in jail. They can take an express train to the Abyss."





*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   

50/50 Friday is a new weekly link-up hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts' blogs.

I'm going with genre's here, since I don't get rec's for particular books, but books in certain genre's.

Please stop
Erotica - I have read books in this genre, but it's not one that I really love. I'm kind of picky about the books I read in this genre and I, more often than not, don't generally finish books in this genre for various reasons.

I'd like to see more of this
Sci-fi - I don't read this genre very often, because I haven't found one that I love that isn't also a retelling of a fairy tale. I would love to read a Science Fiction book that I love as much as I love Fantasy.

7 comments:

  1. Year of Descendants looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great series, and I am into that cover!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this one, but sounds like a thrilling SFF novel. Have a happy weekend!
    My 56: https://akernelofnonsense.wordpress.com/2018/05/24/the-friday-56-undead-girl-gang/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book doesn't sound like one I'd like but the one you are reading, Strange the Dreamer, is one of my favorites. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just read some advice about writing that suggested starting with the promise of action rather than in the middle of action. That first line captures the promise of action perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like an interesting story. Hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with you on Erotica!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete