Translate

Thursday, February 22, 2018

Friday 56 and Book Beginning: Ocean So Wide (Water So Deep #2) by Nichole Giles || Friday 50/50: First/Last Contemporary Romance Book You've Read

This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.



Synopsis:
Recently forced into the underwater city of Atlantis, Emma Harris has managed to avoid marrying the merman who brought her, but her grandfather—the Sea King—insists that joining with the abusive Merrick is inevitable. When Emma discovers a poison that might restore her human lungs, she goes in search of the rare creature that carries it, prepared to try the poison no matter the cost, so she can return home to her family—and to James. 
Since his girlfriend went missing, James’ depression has destroyed his chance at a basketball scholarship and incurred the wrath of his uncle, who was once his strongest supporter. When the police inform him that he’s a suspect in Emma’s mysterious disappearance, James sells his beloved motorcycle to buy a boat so he can find Emma and prove his innocence before going on trial for a murder he didn’t commit. 
With destiny against them, it’s only a matter of time before both are imprisoned forever.


Book Beginning:
James
March 17
22 days since departure
A thick letter from Orange Coast College glared at James from the kitchen counter. He wasn't sure his father had left the house and made the fifty-yard journey to the mailbox, or why a college was sending him recruitment packets two months before graduation. It felt wrong that any school might want him when he'd deserted his team during playoffs.

My 56:
Emma
Laine met her in the gathering room, otherwise known as the ballroom, minus the decorations, the crowd, and the endless supply of paihana.



(completely off topic, I kind of hate the cover. There's just something about it that seems... off)

*   *   *
50/50 Friday is a new weekly link-up hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts' blogs.

I don't read this Genre very often, so it seems like a fitting choice. The cover is linked to my Review.


First


Last(most recent)

15 comments:

  1. Cool contrast between her fantastical world and his everyday mundane one. The last line of the synopsis sounds rather fatalistic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oceans So Wide sounds interesting. I hope you are enjoying out. This new weekly sounds fun. Thanks for sharing. Have a great week and happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well now I want to know what was in the envelope! I agree about the cover. Something about the position seems off somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a story filled with drama. I haven't heard of it before. This week I am spotlighting Close to the Edge by Dawn Ryder. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I want to know more about that packet. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    Not my favorite cover, either!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beauty of a book for your book beginning and Friday 56!

    Here's mine: http://bit.ly/2CgXiSz

    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pushing the Limit sounds like a book I might like. I'll have to check it out!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read any books featuring mer-people--yet. I do want to! I like the premise in this one. I hope you are enjoying it! (I'm with you on the cover--I kind of don't care for it either.)

    I haven't heard of either of your romance mentions. I couldn't think of a first in a genre I've read and so cheated a little.

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll have to look up paihana, but I'm intrigued. :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked it up, I kept getting re-directed to Piranha. I double checked to make sure I didn't misread/mistype. (I didn't) So I'm not sure what it's supposed to be. As far as I know, Piranha's aren't in California waters.

      Delete
  10. Oooh! I love the cover of Ocean so Wide! I hope you enjoy your reads!

    Here’s my Friday 56!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. He doesn't feel worthy. That's a bad feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't read straight romance a lot, either, anymore but I'm hoping to have a stint of contemporaries this summer to keep my inevitable reading slump at bay. I might end up rereading the two you picked, actually! I liked them both too and for some reason, they're just those kinds of books where rereading them never gets monotonous. Thanks for linking up, Marie!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't say I've read any of those contemporaries, and I don't really expect to either...

    ReplyDelete