Translate

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Can’t Believe I Read

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish,
And has recently moved to That Artsy Reader Girl's site. 
To take part, just pick your top ten, and add the link here.
I'm taking this topic a slightly different direction, and going with books that I can't believe that I wasted my time with. Those are hours, days, of my life that I will never get back. Gone, forever, wasted on a bad book, some are even entire series of books. The ones that are just a single book are linked to my review, if I wrote one, the rest are just linked to the Goodreads page for the series.

This is from just before my blogging days, and I found the series for almost free through the old Sony eReader store. Back then I would just read anything that was under $2 through the eReader store. It was an easy way to get my hands on books.
The plot was pretty cut and dry, "Seemingly average girl meets mysterious heartthrob who instantly falls for her and whisks away into his world. 
I don't remember a whole lot about it, other than eventually it turned into five men that were... "in love" with our main character and she has to choose which guy she will, I think, marry. I don't remember, I read this series almost 5 years ago. I just wish I spent that time on a better series. I knew it was bad while I was reading it, but I just didn't care.

2) The Crescent Chronicles Series by Alyssa Rose Ivy
Another pretty cut and dry story with a supernatural aspect. I read a lot of pretty shitty Supernatural Romance books 3-5 years ago. I think this series had a spin-off. But I didn't read that one, I didn't like this series that much. It was only 3 books, and I paid less than 3$ for it. Book one was free, book 2 was 0.99 and book three was 1.99.

3) Twilight "saga" by Stephenie Meyer
Everybody knows this series. But my dislike of it isn't as "common" as most. I read the whole series in less than a week, borrowed them from my cousin. Easy read, probably the best-written book series on my list. But overall, when I finished the series, I was left feeling pretty "Meh". I didn't really feel like a whole lot happened in the course of four books. Granted it barely spanned the course of a full year. But still, very mediocre ending and most of the characters didn't have great development, they were all basically the same person, personality wise, by the end of the series as they were at the start of it.

4) Fallen series by Lauren Kate (books 1-3 only)
This was a series I didn't actually finish because nothing happened, at all. Three books in and nothing substantial happened. At least in Twilight by the end of book 2, she had some answers, and there was some action. In this series, it was a whole lot of faffing about and complaining, and the... "romance" was just as insufferable as the books themselves. This is probably the worst series on my list. (books I don't remember don't count)

5) Ekata: Fall of Darkness by Dominique Law
I honestly don't remember reading this book at all, or if I even fished it. But according to Goodreads, I must have because I wrote a review. I'm not shy about abandoning books I'm not enjoying. Life is too short to read books that you don't like.

6) Divinity by Michelle L. Johnson
One of the first books I got from NetGalley. I think I only wrote a review for them, and not on Goodreads or my blog because I don't have one for it. I re-read the synopsis and apparently, it's about angels. I read this in 2014 and I was still on an angel kick at the time.

7) The Syrena Legacy Series by Anna Banks (Books 1&2 only)
With this series, I just really hated how when the chapters alternated between Emma and Galen (I had to look up their names) it also changed tense, with Emma it was written in first person and with Galen it was third. It took me out of the "world" during those chapters, and possibly why I found things a little boring.

8) Under the Empyrean Sky by Chuck Wendig
I think this is the only DNF on my list. I don't remember how much I read couldn't have been much because this was introduced pretty early on in the book and it's what made me want to throw the book, but since it was an eBook that would mean throwing my tablet and I wasn't about to do that, one of the main antagonists in this book was a massive field of Carnivorous corn. Yes, that's right... Corn that eats people.... and they didn't know how to stop it. That pissed me off so much that I couldn't read anymore. I loathe this book for that alone. Didn't help that everything else was so boring I wanted to die trying to read it.

9) Gilded Series by Christina Farley
I read this whole series, and there were interesting moments throughout, but as a whole, it was just not great. Slight inconsistencies, underdeveloped (or under-explained) world.

2 comments:

  1. Twilight has been a very popular choice this week!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/01/30/top-ten-tuesday-144/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I noticed the POV thing when I was reading the Syrena Legacy books, and I HATED it. Can't believe I put up with that whole trilogy.

    My TTT: https://bookworm716.blogspot.com/2018/01/top-ten-tuesday-books-i-cant-believe-i.html

    ReplyDelete