Translate

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Review: The Ninth Circle: Fire by C.A. Harland

Title: The Ninth Circle: Fire
Author: C.A. Harland
Series: The Ninth Circle #1
Genre: Urban Fantasy/Paranormal
Publisher: ?
Publication Date: October 22nd, 2017
Edition: Kindle Edition, 244 pages
Source: NetGalley
Purchase/Pre-Order: Amazon US | Kobo | Barnes and Noble | Book Depository | iBooks | BAM (No links available for now, I will add them when they are.)

Synopsis:
     Tala Morgenstern lives for the hunt, embracing her heritage as a demon hunter. When her younger sister, Hartley, disappears while on the trail of her long-lost father, Tala must seek the help of her other sister Aiva, who has turned her back on the underworld of magic and hunting. Suspecting demonic involvement, Tala and Aiva race to find Hartley before she can be claimed by hell.
     Their search takes them deeper into the bowels of Dublin’s criminal underground, where the gangs are led by demons, and the currency is souls. With each Circle of hell bringing new dangers, and new revelations about their own place in the demon hunting world, Tala and Aiva have to rely on each other if they are to stand a chance of fighting their way to the Ninth Circle, and the demon lord who is waiting for them.

Review:

Here's the thing, I couldn't get interested in reading this book. Maybe it's my mood, maybe it's stress about life stuff. But I just couldn't be bothered with this book. The plot, the characters, everything just fell a little flat for me. 

It wasn't a "bad" book, per-say. I just couldn't get into the story. It felt like a book I have read a hundred times before. The book was a bit like Supernatural, but with three sisters instead of two brothers. The sisters are Shadowhunters, I mean "Nighthunters". Who hunt misbehaving supernatural creatures, Fae, and Demons. But for the most part, the book is a little less about that and more about Tala and Aiva trying to find their baby sister.

There was a mass of info-dumping that kind of slowed things down a little, a slew of uninspired characters that made things a little boring. 

This was an ambitious book, but a lot of it wasn't very original. I am pleased that the romance was very minimal and that there was more focus on other things. There was a decent amount of violence, which doesn't exactly "bother" me, but I think it's harder to write convincing battle, or violent, scenes than it is to write "romantic" scenes. 

The main issue with this book was that I felt it took far too long to really get into the "meat" of the story. When they finally get to that first circle of hell, things really started to pick up, but that was with in the last few chapters. 

This wasn't a bad book, I just had a hard time getting interested because it just wasn't very original.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry this didn't work out for you! The synopsis didn't draw me in, and your review didn't necessarily make me want to pick this up. Needless to say, I'm giving this one a pass. I agree, battle scenes are much harder to write than romance ones are! It's much easier to convince me that two characters have chemistry than that two characters are about to kill each other. I hope you have better luck next time! :)

    By the way, I tagged you in The Longest Book Tag! If you don't do tags, that's fine! Just thought I should let you know. :D

    ReplyDelete