Translate

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Review: The Goblins of Bellwater by Molly Ringle

Title: The Goblins of Bellwater
Author: Molly Ringle
Series: Standalone
Genre: Urban Fantasy/ New Adult/Fae
Publisher: Central Avenue Publishing
Publication Date: October 1st, 2017
Edition: Kindle Edition, 289 pages
Source: NetGalley
Purchase/Pre-Order: Amazon US | Kobo | Barnes and Noble | Book Depository | iBooks | BAM

Synopsis:
Most people have no idea goblins live in the woods around the small town of Bellwater, Washington. But some are about to find out. Skye, a young barista and artist, falls victim to a goblin curse in the forest one winter night, rendering her depressed and silenced, unable to speak of what happened. Her older sister, Livy, is at wit's end trying to understand what's wrong with her. Local mechanic Kit would know, but he doesn't talk of such things: he's the human liaison for the goblin tribe, a job he keeps secret and never wanted, thrust on him by an ancient family contract.Then Kit starts dating Livy, and Skye draws Kit's cousin Grady into the spell through an enchanted kiss in the woods. Skye and Grady are doomed to become goblins and disappear from humankind forever, unless Livy, the only one untainted by enchantment, can unravel the spell by walking a dangerous magical path of her own.

Review:

This book was so, so good. It started a little slow but never dragged. This book was a little creepy and I really enjoyed that aspect. 

For me, this was one of those books that as I was reading it I wasn't sure if I liked it or not, but once I finished the book I loved it. 

This book is classified as New Adult on Goodreads, but there really isn't any of that what I consider unnecessary, boarding on trashy, sex scenes. They are implied, but not explicitly described. Which I think more New Adult books should do. 

The goblins were really creepy and made me very uncomfortable when I read scenes they were in, but that is kind of the point. They are supposed to make you feel that way. They are gross, and a little vulgar. I just didn't like them, and I wanted to see them defeated.

The only complaint I can think of for the book is that I don't really have much of a clear picture of what Skye, Livy, Kit, or Grady looks like. I can't recall a time when their appearance was described. It's not really much of a complaint as far as the writing goes, but I like to have a picture of what the characters look like, it helps me build a mental image of what the world looks like.

The important thing is, this book was highly enjoyable to read. So once it's released in October, if you like creepy books about Fae beings, then you should check this book out.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh! Goblins. You don't see a book about goblins that often... I'm curious now! Will add to my TBR , thanks :)

    ReplyDelete