Translate

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Friday 56 and Book Beginnings: Children of Blood and Bone (Children of OrÏsha #1) by Tomi Adeyemi (Chapter Sampler) || Friday 50/50: Best/Worst Book Read in August

This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.



Synopsis:
     Zélie Adebola remembers when the soil of Orïsha hummed with magic. Burners ignited flames, Tiders beckoned waves, and Zelie’s Reaper mother summoned forth souls.
     But everything changed the night magic disappeared. Under the orders of a ruthless king, maji were targeted and killed, leaving Zélie without a mother and her people without hope.
     Now, Zélie has one chance to bring back magic and strike against the monarchy. With the help of a rogue princess, Zélie must outwit and outrun the crown prince, who is hell-bent on eradicating magic for good.
     Danger lurks in Orïsha, where snow leoponaires prowl and vengeful spirits wait in the waters. Yet the greatest danger may be Zélie herself as she struggles to control her powers—and her growing feelings for the enemy.




Book Beginning:
I try not to think of her.
But when I do, I think of rice.

My 56:
I flinch, turning away as Ebele chokes and gasps for air. This is the side of Father I hate, the side I try so hard not to see.






 -*-* -*-* -*-* -*-* -*-* -*-*




50/50 Friday is a new weekly link up hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts' blogs.


Best


Worst

13 comments:

  1. Children of Blood and Bone is one of my most anticipated book releases of 2018. I can't wait till it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a scary cover! Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “Y IS FOR YESTERDAY”

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard anything about this book until now. Wow it looks good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not one for me, but I hope you're enjoying/enjoyed it. I’d love for you and your readers to check out mine! http://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsDRA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your 50/50 Friday post. I'll check out your favorite read for the month of August!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That 56 left me interested. :-) Happy long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was a weird opening line...when I do think of her I think of rice. That is a weird thing to think of, yes? My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes more sense when you read the whole first Paragraph. :)

      Delete
  8. Sounds like an intriguing story. This week I am featuring Her Dark Half by Paige Tyler. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like an action-packed story. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds interesting though probably not for me. It sounds like a fast read with lots going on which is always fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The Goblins of Bellwater has such a stunning cover! I need to look into it!
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like it'll be awesome! Happy reading!

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete