Translate

Friday, July 21, 2017

Review: The Mummy by Anne Rice

Title: The Mummy
Author: Anne Rice
Series: Ramses the Damned #1
Genre: Urban Fantasy/Horror
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Publication Date:  March 16th, 2011 (First Published in 1989)
Edition: Kindle Edition, 418 pages
Source: Library
Purchase: Amazon US | Kobo | Barnes and Noble | Book Depository | iBooks | BAM

Synopsis:
He was Ramses the Damned in ancient Egypt, but awoke in opulent Edwardian London as Dr. Ramsey, expert in Egyptology. He mixes with the aristocrats and samples their voluptuous lifestyle, but it is for his beloved, Cleopatra, that he longs, and will do anything to be with....

Review:

This is the first Anne Rice book I have read in a long, long time. Her writing is so unique and has this way about it that is hard to explain. It's something you have to experience, but her writing just draws you into what is happening, giving you a very "fly on the wall" perspective. You always feel like you are right there with everybody experiencing everything they are. 

I admit, that I haven't enjoyed all her books, Interview with a Vampire is my favorite hands down, but I've always had a hard time reading most of her other books in that series, and I haven't read any books from other series she's written (seriously, this woman has written so many books). I think what helped me get so engaged with this book is that it takes place outside her Vampire series.

I didn't catch on right away that this book takes place in 1914, Those early chapters didn't really give the feeling that it was taking place that far into the past. But once I figured that out, what was happening seemed all the more perilous to me. It kind of reminded me of the Mummy movie (the one with Brenden Fraiser, I haven't seen the one from the 50's) with some small differences here and there. Not a bad thing, I love that movie. And this was written before that movie came out.

Anne Rice has a way with intertwining Romance and horror so seamlessly. There is also an air of mystery and suspense in this book that makes it hard to put down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment