Translate

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Review: The Waking Land by Callie Bates

Title: The Waking Land
Author: Callie Bates
Series: The Waking Land #1
Genre: Fantasy/ YA/
Publisher: Del Rey
Publication Date: July 4th, 2017
Edition: Kindle Edition, 400 pages
Source: NetGalley
Purchase: Amazon US | Kobo | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository  | BAM






Synopsis:
Lady Elanna Valtai is fiercely devoted to the King who raised her like a daughter. But when he dies under mysterious circumstances, Elanna is accused of his murder and must flee for her life. 
Returning to the homeland of magical legends she has forsaken, Elanna is forced to reckon with her despised, estranged father, branded a traitor long ago. Feeling a strange, deep connection to the natural world, she also must face the truth about the forces she has always denied or disdained as superstition powers that suddenly stir within her. 
But an all-too-human threat is drawing near, determined to exact vengeance. Now Elanna has no choice but to lead a rebellion against the kingdom to which she once gave her allegiance. Trapped between divided loyalties, she must summon the courage to confront a destiny that could tear her apart.
    Well, I started and finished a book for the first time in almost 2 months. I am so happy, and I am happy to report that I enjoyed this book. 

    There are some mild cliche moments in this book, but one thing that I really liked was that the MC, doesn't automatically trust "her people" when they finally extract her from the kingdom that held her captive for most of her life. It takes her time to trust them again, and even longer to get on board with their rebellion. It would have been far too cliche and unrealistic for her to just trust the people she didn't grow up with, just because they were once her people. It makes sense that she believes and trusts the people that raised her a little more.

    The magic in this book, while very interesting, needed to be explained a little better in my opinion. There were times when I just didn't understand how any of the magic systems worked, and what caused someone to have magic over others. It was all a little vague to me, I might have missed something.

    The rebellion was the more interesting part of this book, and I really wish there wasn't a romance. It fell out of place, and I just didn't buy when these two characters were talking about caring as deeply for each other when they did. They only had a small handful of interactions before one of them is halfway across the country, yet they are still talking about each other like they had known each other for years and were already in love before the book started.

    I have no idea if this book has a sequel, I finished this book a couple days ago but things have been so hectic for me lately, probably another reason why I've barely finished a book in months, but I barely remember the end of this book. 

    Either way, this was a very enjoyable book, a little cliche at times, and some of the characters were a little annoying, but I think this book is worth picking up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment