Translate

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Friday 56 and Book Beginnings: The Waking Land by Callie Bates || Friday 50/50

This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.


So, some of that stress has gone away. And I have a couple books that I've received from NetGalley that I can share so I now have a book I can share.

Book Beginning:
    Prologue
I felt safe that night in Laon, safer than I had any night before in the city.

My 56:
"This is the prisoner who claims to be Elanna Valtai, sir," says the officer.

The Butcher leans over me, looking into my face. "You've got yourself in quite a pickle this time," he says to me, shaking his head. "King Antoine would have had you executed tomorrow in Hugh Rathsay's place for all the little stunts you've pulled recently. But our new Duke is the kind who likes to play games. You've been granted a reprieve."




-------------------------------------------------------------------------

50/50 Friday is a new weekly link up hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts' blogs.

This week is the most Deep/Shallow book in X genre. I'm going with New Adult Contemporary because that's where most authors really try to tell complex stories about taboo topics and succeed, or fail and it becomes drivel.

Deep:
Until You Find Me (Untamed #1) by Amber Hart - This is the first in a duology. It covers some interesting themes and topics. I haven't read this book in a couple years, so I don't remember 100% of what happened, just what's in the Synopsis. I don't read a lot of Contemporary so I don't really have a large pool to choose from.


Shallow:

Up in Flames (Rosemary Beach #13) by Abbi Glines - None of the books in this very long companion series are exactly "high brow" but, this book pissed me off to a very high degree. The title is linked to my review which has spoilers, but I want people to know what this book is about, and it's a topic I can't support in any way what-so ever. It's a shameful end to a series and I just can't read this authors books anymore. I can't support her after reading this.

10 comments:

  1. The Waking Land looks very good - thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cover of The Walking Land. Nice snippets too. Thanks.

    I'm reading I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the cover too! I love the way he says - you've got yourself into a bit of a pickle lol

    Here's my current read: http://bit.ly/2rXibtc

    Have a good one!

    Sass x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cover is so beautiful! I'm a total sucker for a great cover (which has led me astray more than I'd like to admit, lol).

    My Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wild looking cover. I'd love for you and your readers to check out mine blog today . . . ttp://tinyurl.com/LisaKsBookReviewsKTBT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Until You Fine Me sounds like something I'd enjoy. I'll have to check it out!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Walking Land is coming up soon on my review stack. This week I'm reading Into the Fire by Jeaniene Frost. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had me with 'the butcher'. :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. NA Contemporary can definitely be a tricky genre to navigate. The majority of NA focuses on intense romance and even with contemporaries, it can be hard for authors to make the book meaningful while also fulfilling the parameters of the NA genre. Thanks for linking up, Marie!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete