Translate

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Things That Will Make Me Instantly Want To Read A Book

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish.
To take part, just pick your top ten, and add the link here.

1) Books based on mythology.
 I was really obsessed with mythology in middle school and high school. I will instantly be interested in a book with Mythology.

2) Well developed characters.
I know that it makes it hard to decide to read a book with well-developed characters, before reading it. But if I am reading a book with poorly written characters, it makes it less likely I will finish the book or read it's sequel.

3) An interesting premise.
I really like books that don't use recycled plot points. I know it's hard to be 100% unique when writing, but at the same time a, slightly, cliche plot can still be interesting if written well.

4) Fantasy
This goes along with Mythology. Most fantasy stories are based on a mythology in a region before Christianity came along. Egyptian, Greek, Roman, etc (Norse is possibly one of the more bizzare, but that's why I like it). Those were all religions before they converted to Christianity. (On a philosophical level it does make me wonder how many centuries it will take for that to happen to Christianity.)

5) Wizards. 
I love a good book about Witches or Wizards. I have parameters though. It has to have a magic system that makes sense on some level. If it's going to be explained it has to make sense, if it doesn't make sense, then I'd just prefer it not to be explained.

6) Alternate History
While I am not a big fan of some Historical Fiction. I love alternate history books. A "what-if" situation. For example, Vikings found what is now The Americas long before Columbus was dumb and "found" the content. It makes me wonder what kind of world we'd be living in had they decided to stay.

7) A nice looking cover.
While it's not good to judge a book solely by its cover, I don't want ugly books on my shelf. And if the cover is really tacky, then I get judgemental over the content and how good the editing might be. In my experience, if the cover is really cheesy or tacky, the content is equally as bad,

8) An engaging blurb.
The synopsis is one of the first things I look at, if the blurb isn't written well enough to engage me, then I doubt the book itself will.

9) A Re-Telling, or Re-Imagining of a fairytale.
I love a good retelling. Fairy Tales are so classic and most people know them, so I never hesitate to read one. Some are hit-or-miss, but when I read a good one, it makes me so happy.

10) When favorite authors team up to write a book.
I have yet to read one that I love. But it would be awesome to read a book written by any two of my favorite authors.


2 comments:

  1. This is a great list! I've been seeing "pretty cover" on so many lists today - it's really true, though. Sometimes you can tell a lot about a book by its cover! I've really been into fairy tale retellings lately, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Great picks! I do love some alternate history. :)

    ReplyDelete