Translate

Sunday, November 6, 2016

Review: Stars Above by Marissa Meyer

Title: Stars Above
Author: Marissa Meyer
Series: The Lunar Chronicles #4.5
Genre: YA/Fantasy/Sci-fi/Romance
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Publication Date: February 2nd, 2016
Edition: Kindle Edition, 401 pages
Source: Library
Purchase: Amazon US | Kobo | Barnes and Noble | Book Depository | iBooks | BAM


Synopsis:
     The Keeper: A prequel to the Lunar Chronicles, showing a young Scarlet and how Princess Selene came into the care of Michelle Benoit.
     Glitches: In this prequel to Cinder, we see the results of the plague play out, and the emotional toll it takes on Cinder. Something that may, or may not, be a glitch….
     The Queen’s Army: In this prequel to Scarlet, we’re introduced to the army Queen Levana is building, and one soldier in particular who will do anything to keep from becoming the monster they want him to be.
      Carswell’s Guide to Being Lucky: Thirteen-year-old Carswell Thorne has big plans involving a Rampion spaceship and a no-return trip out of Los Angeles.
     After Sunshine Passes By: In this prequel to Cress, we see how a nine-year-old Cress ended up alone on a satellite, spying on Earth for Luna.
     The Princess and the Guard: In this prequel to Winter, we see a young Winter and Jacin playing a game called the Princess and the Guard…
     The Little Android: A retelling of Hans Christian Andersen’s “The Little Mermaid,” set in the world of The Lunar Chronicles.
     The Mechanic: In this prequel to Cinder, we see Kai and Cinder’s first meeting from Kai’s perspective.
     Something Old, Something New: In this epilogue to Winter, friends gather for the wedding of the century….

Review:
     Overall review:
I've read about half these novellas long before the bind up came out, and that was kind of what kept me from buying this book. Even though I love the cover so much, I think it might be my favorite cover in the entire series. 
I really enjoyed re-reading some of these, and reading the ones that are new to me.
     The Keeper Review:
I think this was one was one of my favorites. I loved getting to know Scarlet's Gran. And learning how Cinder ended up in her care. I hadn't really thought about how long she was taken care of before the surgeries.
     Glitches review:
I read this one awhile ago. While it was nice to see a glimpse of what her life was like before the books started, and get to know Garen a little bit, and how kind he seemed made me really wish even more so that he hadn't died. 
     The Queen's Army review:
I think this was also one of the novellas I had previously read, but I don't remember exactly. I kind of felt sorry for Ze've, I don't remember if his brother was in any of the other books.
     Carswell's Guide to Being Lucky review:
I didn't know this was set when he was a kid. Little Carswell was pretty similar to adult, or young adult Carswell. He tries very hard to be charming all the time and makes it all the more hilarious when Cinder and Scarlett ignore his charms. 
     After Sunshine Passes By review:
Poor Cress. I already disliked Sybil, but I hated her even more after reading this. Cress was so young when she was put in that satellite. It's a wonder that she didn't go insane, or becomes bitter in some way.
     The Princess and the Guard review:
Winter was my least favorite character from the series. Not really sure why, just didn't like her or Jacin as much. Though I disliked him far more, so this novella just wasn't as interesting to me as the others so far. And it didn't really give any new information. 
     The Little Android review:
I read this one shortly after reading Cinder way back when I first read it. I liked this story, though it doesn't seem to have any connection to the rest of the series in any way.
     The Mechanic review:
Kai and  Cinder are always adorable. And this first meeting from  his POV was even more so.
     Something Old, Something New review:
Obviously, this is one of the new novellas, and I loved it. Scarlet is probably my favorite character. The ending really made me smile, and want another novella.

1 comment:

  1. I've probably read about half of these too, but I'm still looking forward to trying it - especially, on audio. :)

    ReplyDelete