Translate

Monday, May 16, 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Books I Picked Up On A Whim

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish.
To take part, just pick your top ten, and add the link here.

Many of the books I have read were ones that I saw on NetGalley, or for real cheap on either kobo or Amazon; liked the way it sounded and decided to read it. The ones that were great and the ones that were less than are about 50/50. 

The Assassin's of Tamurin by S.D. Tower - This was a book that was recommended by the Husband, well more like he shoved it in my hands and told me to read it lol, He doesn't really read that much, mainly because he doesn't get entertainment from reading novels the way I, and many people do. So when he recommends me a book I tend to read it. Though I have yet to read Dune, which he keeps telling/asking me to read. I haven't read it since way back when, but It still holds a place in my mind as a great book, and I think I read it about 5 years ago.

Dead Radiance by T.G. Ayer - Series about Valkyries. It sounded awesome. I've only read the first 3 books in this series, and only recently found out that 2 more books were written. I hated the ending of the third book for many reasons (review here if you want to know). I think I have the fourth book, if I do, apparently I'm not all that motivated to read it. 

Storm by Brigid Kemmerer - This is one of many that were around 99cents, back when I got my eBooks from the Sony eReader store before they closed it and shifted to Kobo. It is a really fun read. Looking back, there are some mild flow problems with the writing, and some of the wording is strange and I felt while reading it, the first time as well, that the book would have been better had it been written in 1st person, rather than the way it was, which I think might be considered 2nd person. I picked up the rest of the series as well.

Lonely Souls by Karice Bolton - Another series/book that was 99cents, so I bought and read the whole series. This was the first series I had read that was about Witches. It was really entertaining to read, I liked the characters, I liked the plot. I haven't gone back to re-read it yet, I am kind of worried I'll like it way less since this was one of the first books/series that I read and reviewed for my blog.

A Demon Made Me Do It by Penelope King - Surprise, surprise. A book that was about a dollar in the Ebook store I use. I was really into reading books about demons and stuff at the time I found this book. It's by a lesser known author, my favorite kind of author to read books by. On her Goodreads page, it says there's going to be a 4th book. But it's said that for the past 2-3 years. So, at this point, I'm not sure it's going to happen.

The Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke - I don't mean to sound like an ass when I say this, but I read this book long before the bigger book bloggers/booktubers started talking about this book. I am still upset that there are only 2 books. There is so much potential for more books in this world. Sure, there are 2 novellas but they are more prequels than a continuation which is what I want.

Reign of Blood by Alexia Purdy - There was about a year when I was obsessively buying/downloading any and all books that were around a dollar or less. This series was one of them. From what I remember, it was a really interesting and unique take (for me at least) on the Vampire/Zombie genre. I have all three books, I've just only read the first two and I don't really remember what happened in the second book that made me not finish the series.

The Girls From Alcyone by Cary Caffrey - One of the first books that I've read that was completely sci-fi. The synopsis sounded really interesting to me, so I picked and it's sequel up (the novella that's been placed between them isn't worth reading since that entire "book" is in the second book.) A third book has seemingly been in the works for a couple of years now. But by the time it comes out I might have lost interest in the series.

Clash of Eagles by Alan Smale - This was a book I saw on NetGalley. I had never really read much Historical Fiction, but this one sounded so amazing that I just had to read it.

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater - Not recommended to me, more of me just finally caving and reading it. Don't remember if this was one of my "hey it's on sale for 99cents" buys or if I borrowed it from the library. I was hesitant to read it because I thought it was about boys that turned into ravens. But boy was I completely wrong, I hadn't read any reviews, I only heard that it was a good book.

6 comments:

  1. Great list ! I really want to pick up on The Raven Boys..

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love the Raven Boys. And I think Storm was pretty good as well. Haven't read any of the other books, though. Great list, and thanks for sharing. :)
    Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  3. I reeky want to read the Raven Boys. I just need to buy it first, but if I buy book 1 I'll want to buy all of them so I'm resisting until a sale. I've heard of the Assassin's Curse before, and it sounds intriguing.

    My TTT this week

    ReplyDelete
  4. You picked up some awesome books on a whim. I really need to hurry up and read The Raven Boys, especially now that I own every book in the series. I have been putting off reading it for far too long, as I am a little nervous it won't live up to the hype. Great list :) You can check out my post here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Raven Boys! Hell yea! Such an artistic book but certainly not for everyone.

    - Jen from The Bookavid

    ReplyDelete
  6. Storm was pretty fun - I should pick up the rest of the books some time. :)

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete