Translate

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Friday 56 and Book Beginnings: The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa

This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
 

These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.




Synopsis:
     Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.
     Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.



Book Beginning:
The Iron King stood before me, magnificent in his beauty, silver hair whipping about like an unruly waterfall.


Thoughts:
An okay start. But not quite enough to draw me in the way I like books to.


My 56:
No. I looked closer, and realized that Sage's body was turning to ice. His clawed fingers flexed, losing their color, becoming hard and clear. His thumb abruptly snapped off and shattered to the floor. I put hands to my mouth to keep from screaming.

10 comments:

  1. I still have yet to read anything by Kagawa. The beginning didn't make me ooh and aah, but the 56 definitely perked up!
    Mine is from a new-to-me historical mystery series (which I'm horribly embarrassed to admit to not knowing about before last week!): http://wellreadpiratequeen.blogspot.com/2015/09/bookbeginnings-friday56-beautiful-blue.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. RI agree, the beginning is beautifully written, but doesn't scream that I have to read it. The 56 however is intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty cover . The 56 got my attention.
    sherry @ fundinmental Friday Memes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read the first book in the series - sounds like I really need to continue it!

    Check out my Friday 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that teaser definitely made up for the maybe lacklustre beginning! I have a feeling that, like Lauren, I've read the first book of this series at some point waay waay back! I hope you enjoy the rest of this one! Thanks for sharing :) I hope you have a great week!
    My Friday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been so long since I thought about this book. *sigh* If only I had the time to reread it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The beginning didn't grab me all that much but what a 56! I can definitely picture the narrator having to keep from screaming. I haven't read anything by Kawaga but I've heard great things about her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I may have nightmares now after reading your 56 quotes hahaha! My Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I have this on my kindle but haven't read it yet - I believe I bought the whole series when it first came out..lol...it was a spree buy...thanks for sharing. Here's my Book Beginnings and Friday 56

    ReplyDelete