Translate

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Friday 56: The Shadow Revolution by Clay & Susan Griffith

This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice



These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.



Synopsis:

     "They are the realm’s last, best defense against supernatural evil. But they’re going to need a lot more silver.
      As fog descends, obscuring the gas lamps of Victorian London, werewolves prowl the shadows of back alleys. But they have infiltrated the inner circles of upper-crust society as well. Only a handful of specially gifted practitioners are equipped to battle the beasts. Among them are the roguish Simon Archer, who conceals his powers as a spell-casting scribe behind the smooth veneer of a dashing playboy; his layabout mentor, Nick Barker, who prefers a good pub to thrilling heroics; and the self-possessed alchemist Kate Anstruther, who is equally at home in a ballroom as she is on a battlefield.
      After a lycanthrope targets Kate’s vulnerable younger sister, the three join forces with fierce Scottish monster-hunter Malcolm MacFarlane—but quickly discover they’re dealing with a threat far greater than anything they ever imagined."

*     *     *

56% on Tablet:

     Malcolm said quietly, "I'm surprised that men such as these vile resurrectionists are your friends."

     "Friends is a bit strong. Although I don't begrudge a man a living wage in this day and age."

     The Scotsman muttered, "Wonder if you'd feel the same if it was your carcass they were pulling from the grave?"

     "Hopefully I won't find out for many years."
Simon gave Kate a charming wink.

7 comments:

  1. I've been hearing a lot about this lately. It sounds good!

    Check out my 56 (With Book Beginnings).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is new to me but sounds good. I'm am quite used to werewolves being the heroes. It might be interesting to read one where they are the villains. Check out my 56s and BBs at 21 and 22 on Freda's linky. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book is really good. It's kind of like a steam-punk Dresden Files.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like someone knows how to keep his friends close and enemies closer.
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanting to read more steam punk and now I am totally intrigued over this. The lines you shared are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Intriguing. Although I'm not a fan of werewolf stories, I like the Victorian England setting. I enjoyed your excerpt.
    My Friday post features Widow’s Tears.

    ReplyDelete