Translate

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Iron Fey #1
Synopsis:
     "Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.
     Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.
     When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.
     But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil, no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart."


So, I finally got around to reading this book. I got it about a year ago while it was on sale for 99 cents in the Kindle Store. I had only heard great things about this book/series, and while I do want to finish the series because I really did like the book. There were just some things that I felt were kind of weak story points, that could have been better.


I didn't really care for Meghan for most of the book. She was irrational and a little annoying. She was also was really naive and really gullible, as well as stubborn. She never listened to the advice from those who knew more about the Fey world than she did.

Her best friend Rob though, he was awesome. I really liked his character and the revelation of who he really was. Ash was also a pretty great character. I like characters that have obvious layers to their persona. It was pretty clear fairly early on that he was struggling with his duty and what he wanted to do. If he wanted to, he could have captured Meghan with little to no fight.

I liked the world-building, and it's clear that Kagawa did her research on fey mythology to write this book. I think the thing that kept me from giving this book a higher rating was that I just didn't really care for Meghan. Maybe in the next book, she'll make smarter decisions.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds almost identical to another series I read whose name escapes me at the moment. The other series was good at starting out but got weaker as it went along.

    ~N

    ReplyDelete