Translate

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Fake Boobs by Ryan Ringbloom

Fake
Synopsis:
     "Tori Albert is eighteen, her confidence level is zero. Her life experience…also zero. She’s a girl lost in the shuffle, hiding in the shadows, craving attention. If only someone, anyone, would notice her, maybe life would improve. 
     Grant Donovan can’t stop noticing Tori, but she is young, inexperienced and naïve. She is also his best friend’s younger sister. Grant knows the best thing he can do is just walk away. So why the hell isn’t he walking away?
     When a late night knock lands across her bedroom door, Tori knows what stands behind it could end in disaster…but how many times does opportunity come knocking?
     Just when she thinks her luck is finally changing, the assurance Tori believes she has finally found is taken away. With new assets and a new goal in sight, Tori will soon learn her new found confidence isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. Unfortunately, some things you just have to learn the hard way."

I received this book from NetGalley for review.


This is a book that I think everyone should check out, at just about any age. There are some language and somewhat mild sexual content, but I don't think it's enough to say 'people this age shouldn't read it.' Because I think all women, or men, at any age should read it.

This book talks pretty in depth about self-confidence and what a lack of it can do to a person. I've had some confidence issues. They aren't as bad as they used to be, but they aren't where I want them to be either. What I really liked a lot about this book is where it touches on the difference between having confidence and having self-worth. There is a difference and they should also go hand in hand. 

Tori has a thin body and a small frame, to her that means she is ugly and unwanted. She thinks boobs will be her answer to all her problems. Which is completely wrong. (From experience I can confirm. I've needed a bra since 4th grade, and I didn't have my first date until I was almost 18.) 

Grant, I liked his character. Even though he pretty much made a lot of really dumb decisions, and if he knew how fragile Tori's confidence was, he should have worded what he was trying to tell her better. I know he was "trying to do the right thing", but he didn't give Tori a chance to tell him how she felt and he took the decision away from her and made her feel tossed aside. 

The one thing that made this book perfect, was that Tori figured out what she wanted pretty much by herself. Yes, Grant may have nudged her to be herself again, but he didn't force her at all. He got his head out of his bum, told her how he felt even all those years ago, and let her decide what to do with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment