Translate

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Clash of Eagles by Alan Smale

Clash of Eagles #1
Synopsis:
In a world where the Roman Empire never fell, a legion under the command of general Gaius Marcellinus invades the newly-discovered North American continent. But Marcellinus and his troops have woefully underestimated the fighting prowess of the Native American inhabitants. When Gaius is caught behind enemy lines and spared, he must reevaluate his allegiances and find a new place in this strange land.

I received this book from NetGalley for Review.

I found this book to have a very interesting concept, and a great story. This is the first time I have read a book almost completely about war. So it took me a while to really get into the story. The new Roman Empire was really interesting to learn about and Gaius was a really well written complex character.  There was a lot to like about this book. I just had a hard time staying focused with it.

There is a lot of characters to keep track of, and a good majority of the book the main character is either marching his army or training an army, along with a language barrier. These things made the book a little boring at times for me. I can understand and see the appeal of this story though. 

With all the characters to follow, I lost track of who was who a few times. This book was a lot longer than I had expected to be, and with the slower pace of story than I am used to, it made the book feel much longer than it actually is. 

I still think that this book is a great book with a interesting and unique story, and I highly recommend people give it a shot. It just really wasn't the book for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment