Translate

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Angelfall by Susan Ee

Penryn & the End of Days #1
Synopsis:
     "It's been six weeks since the angels of the apocalypse destroyed the world as we know it. Only pockets of humanity remain. 
Savage street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night.
     When angels fly away with a helpless girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back..."



I received this book from NetGalley for review.


So, that book just happened. I admit, for a long time I held off on reading this, then I debated on if I wanted to read it or not. Books about Angels and Demons are a dime a dozen, and it's hard to make it original. This was quite different from any I have ever read.

Angels, Demons, and Nephilim. Oh my! There weren't any present but they were mentioned, but it was really interesting that the Nephilim were kind of like vampires, or zombies. Either way, not generally how they are portrayed, and I like that it was different. 

Penryn, I am not sure if her name is pronounced how it's spelled or not, is a fairly interesting character. I'm not sure she is smart, because she made a handful of really risky not really thought out decisions, but she is really resourceful. The loyalty and love she has for her family is noble because I think we all know that Penryn could survive a lot longer and better if she walked away from them. Her mom is about as crazy as a person can get while still being functional, and her sister is wheelchair bound. But she loves them and everything she does is trying to keep them alive and safe.

Raffe was kind of one dimensional for a while. But I think that was mostly due to him trying to keep whatever emotions he was feeling in-check. But once he started to not keep things bottled up so much, the complexity of his character came out. 

There were really no slow, or stagnate parts of this book. Everything had me on my toes for what was going to happen next. And the reveal of who Raffe really is was actually not really that big of a surprise, but what his own kind did to him was. I expect the sequel to be amazing for how things ended. I am really excited to pick it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment