Translate

Thursday, June 19, 2014

Review: Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh

Title:
  Hyperbole and a Half
Author: Allie Brosh
Series: N/A
Genre: Humor/Graphic Novel/Memoir/Mental Health 
Publisher: Gallery Books
Publication Date: October 29th, 2013
Edition: Paperback, 371 pages
Source: Purchased




 
Synopsis
     This is a book I wrote. Because I wrote it, I had to figure out what to put on the back cover to explain what it is. I tried to write a long, third-person summary that would imply how great the book is and also sound vaguely authoritative--like maybe someone who isn’t me wrote it--but I soon discovered that I’m not sneaky enough to pull it off convincingly. So I decided to just make a list of things that are in the book:
Pictures
Words
Stories about things that happened to me
Stories about things that happened to other people because of me
Eight billion dollars*
Stories about dogs
The secret to eternal happiness*
*These are lies. Perhaps I have underestimated my sneakiness!




This is hands down the greatest graphic novel I have ever read. There is so much to say about this book, I just don't know how to put it in words.

It made me laugh so hard at parts I was in tears, there were also parts that bring perspective to things as well, they did for me at least The section she has on depression is the best way anyone has ever explained what depression feels like. I don't have "clinical depression", I know people that are, but I also have been depressed. Not to the extent that she goes into in the book but I still understand and appreciate how she explains what depression is like.

She shares many other stories that bring perspective to many different things, all are laced with some kind of humor. She talks about her dogs and shares funny stories from her childhood. The silly art work adds to her story telling, it is all very wonderful and makes me smile.

I didn't read the entire book, but that's only because I also follow her blog, by the same title as her book, and read a good chunk there.

I think everybody should read this book. It is fantastic. It is full of great stories, all that I can really say is to read this book, you will not regret it. It truly is a wonderful book.

1 comment: