Translate

Friday, January 17, 2014

Review: The Girls From Alcyone by Cary Caffrey

Title:
 The Girls From Alcyone
Author: Cary Caffrey
Series: The Girls from Alcyone #1
Genre: Space Oprea/Sci-fi/Romance
Publisher: Smashwords
Publication Date: November 27th, 2011
Edition: eBook
Source: Purchased
Purchase: Amazon US






Synopsis:     
Sigrid and Suko are two girls from the impoverished and crime-infested streets of 24th century Earth. Sold into slavery to save their families from financial ruin, the girls are forced to live out their lives in service to the Kimura Corporation, a prestigious mercenary clan with a lineage stretching back long before the formation of the Federated Corporations.
     Known only to Kimura, the two girls share startling secret—a rare genetic structure not found in tens of millions of other girls.
But when their secret becomes known, Sigrid and Suko quickly find themselves at the center of a struggle for power. Now, hunted by men who would seek to control them, Sigrid and Suko are forced to fight for their own survival, and for the freedom of the girls from Alcyone.





I quite enjoyed this book. It had a very interesting plot, great characters, good story flow. A pleasant balance between romance and action.

I can't really think of anything that I didn't like about the book, it took me a while to get into it, but that was because I was spending too much time reading other people's opinions of it than actually reading the book. Once I just ignored everyone else's grievances and just read the damn thing, I could hardly put it down.

I will be honest when I say that at first, I was not aware of the lesbian love I would encounter in the book. But when it became clear that, that's what this was, it didn't really bother me, because the intimate scenes were done tastefully. But, if same-sex couples are something that makes you uncomfortable, then this book really isn't for you.

Sigrid and Suko are great characters, their love starts out sisterly and protective. Suko protecting Sigrid because she's the smallest, and it took Sigrid longer for the genetic manipulation to really take hold. But their love grows into something really sweet and romantic. One of the pointless complaints I read was that the reader felt like it was some young guy's fantasy about girls with guns in space. But the bedroom scenes were sultry without being raunchy, so I really don't see where they got that idea. And their love never overshadowed the rest of the story. Sure there were times when their romance was what drove some of the plot points along. But in all honesty, I think more women should write character-driven romance over romance-driven romance.

The meat of the action took a little longer to get off the ground, but once it did. Holy space-cows. Sigrid becomes quite the bamf. She grows leaps and bounds throughout this story and I honestly can't wait to read the rest of the series. I'm trying not to give too much away, but who wouldn't like to read a book about super soldier girls in space?

No comments:

Post a Comment