Translate

Thursday, December 6, 2018

Friday 56 and Book Beginnings: Calamity (The Reckoners #3) by Brandon Sanderson || Friday 50/50: Best/Worst Books Read in November

This is a weekly meme hosted by Freda's Voice
These are the rules:
1. Grab a book, any book.
2. Turn to page 56, or 56% on your eReader.
3. Find any sentence (or a few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.
4. Post it.
5. Add the URL to your post in the link on Freda's most recent Friday 56 post.

Please join us over at RoseCityReader every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author’s name.


Synopsis:
  When Calamity lit up the sky, the Epics were born. David’s fate has been tied to their villainy ever since that historic night. Steelheart killed his father. Firefight stole his heart. And now Regalia has turned his closest ally into a dangerous enemy.
    David knew Prof’s secret, and kept it even when Prof struggled to control the effects of his Epic powers. But facing Obliteration in Babilar was too much. Once the Reckoners’ leader, Prof has now embraced his Epic destiny. He’s disappeared into those murky shadows of menace Epics are infamous for the world over, and everyone knows there’s no turning back. . . .
    But everyone is wrong. Redemption is possible for Epics—Megan proved it. They’re not lost. Not completely. And David is just about crazy enough to face down the most powerful High Epic of all to get his friend back. Or die trying.
Embrace your epic destiny and there's no turning back.
Is there?




Book Beginning:
The sun peeked over the horizon like the head of a giant radioactive manatee. 


56%:
"Senior Reckoner?" Megan cut in. "You abandoned us."
"Says the traitor."













*     *     *     *     *  *     *     *     *     *  *     *     *     *     *  


50/50 Friday is a new weekly link-up hosted by Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader and Laura @ Blue Eye Books.  Every week they have a new topic featuring two sides of the same coin - you share a book that suits each category and link up on the hosts' blogs.

So... I missed the last few weeks, and they are all very good topics, so I'm bummed that I missed them. Maybe I'll go back and add them to those Friday posts, I don't know yet.

Best
It's a tie between Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo.
Both were fantastic, but Crooked Kingdom is a little higher on that list for me.

"Worst"
I was just expecting more from this. I only really liked about 4 of the stories. The rest were pretty 'meh'. 

7 comments:

  1. I've heard so many good things about Six of Crows and Crooked Kingdom. I need to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great excerpts! Enjoy...and thanks for sharing. Here's mine: “TELL ME LIES”

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked Six of Crows but couldn't get into Crooked Kingdom. I should give it another try. I also liked Steelheart but haven't read any more in that series. This week I have a historical mystery - A Moment in Crime by Amanda Allen. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Intriguing 56!!! I added you to the Linky. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Confession.... I've not read Six of Crows. Yeah, crazy I know.

    Thanks for linking up!

    Carrie @ The Butterfly Reader

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brandon Sanderson has the best videos and podcasts for writers and I haven't read any of his books. Time to remedy that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of these days I'll read this author!

    ReplyDelete