Translate

Friday, November 1, 2013

Existence by Abbi Glines

Existence #1
     "What happens when you're stalked by Death? You fall in love with him, of course.
Pagan Moore doesn't cheat Death, but instead, falls in love with him.
     Seventeen-year-old Pagan Moore has seen souls her entire life. Once she realized the strangers she often saw walking through walls were not visible to anyone else, she started ignoring them. If she didn't let them know she could see them, then they left her alone. Until she stepped out of her car the first day of school and saw an incredibly sexy guy lounging on a picnic table, watching her with an amused smirk on his face. Problem is, she knows he's dead.
     Not only does he not go away when she ignores him, but he does something none of the others have ever done. He speaks. Pagan is fascinated by the soul. What she doesn't realize is that her appointed time to die is drawing near and the wickedly beautiful soul she is falling in love with is not a soul at all.
     He is Death and he's about to break all the rules."

Existence is the first in this series. I normally don't care for books that have ghosts in them, but this one had me curious enough to seek it out. And boy was it not what I expected. I enjoyed this book a great deal. I believe it was more of the way the story was told more than the story itself that I liked.

Even though the relationship between Pagan, and Leif and how quickly she fell for him didn't make much sense to me. Her feelings all together for Dank made near to no sense at first. And while Dank's existence, see what I did there, remains a mystery for most of the book it is clear that he is not exactly human.

One small issue I have with this story are the names chosen for the three main characters. They are just too out there and weird. Dank, Leif, and Pagan. I know authors these days try and give their character unique names and think outside of the box, do they really have to ignore the box altogether? This review probably sounds more like a review better suited for a book that I didn't like, more than one that I enjoyed, but I do like this book and I am interested in reading the rest of the series. I just had to point out some of the things that got to me. I guess some of the things that got to me are the reasons why I normally don't read YA-romance novels that have ghosts in them. I find it hard to grasp the concept of falling in love with someone who doesn't have a real body.

No comments:

Post a Comment